• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Incorrect Year on Title ??? California Registration Assistance?

RDUKW

Well... Good news!

The official CA title came today, and it reflects the correct Year/Model information. What a relief! No more worrying about having a "2012 BMY".

Now, the last step in this process is to apply for the 'Historic Vehicle' License Plates - which, to do, needed the title. Why it couldn't be initially registered this way - no one can say.

Hoping to to get some $ back too as it then wouldn't be registered as a Commercial Vehicle. I'll let you know...
sounds like a typical DMV deal with employees that don't know crap. You do not have to register these trucks commercial before historic. I would call Sacramento and request all of the fees back do to incompetent DMV employees. In the future a private DMV service is the way to go as they do all the work for you and only charge $50-75

Bhpdbrad

I hope you get those weight fees back. They are not require for "HV" plates.
On a side note; is the CTA 8.3 engine CARB compliant? Not that it matters with "HV", I'm just curious.
CARB Compliant?.... He!! no... That's why you can't use these trucks commercially in CA. (fleet operation)
Essentially any pre 1994 truck would now need a 2010 engine installed.

Fortunately it doesn't matter for non-commercial use.

Last edited:

NovacaineFix

I forget the website, it's a government surplus auction site, but all of the California trucks that are diesel equipped, all stated, "Not Legal for use in CA".

They were all pre 2007 vehicles and all CA exempt but probably past their depreciation schedule.

Love that sticker, got to find me one of those.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I forget the website, it's a government surplus auction site, but all of the California trucks that are diesel equipped, all stated, "Not Legal for use in CA".

They were all pre 2007 vehicles and all CA exempt but probably past their depreciation schedule.
That is a disservice to the seller and buyer as it is inaccurate. They need to do better homework before they falsely advertise :roll:

Love that sticker, got to find me one of those.
eBay [thumbzup]

NovacaineFix

I hear you, but that is how they are listing them, not arguing any bit on my end.

Actually found a listing for an upcoming auction. Since it is an active listing, I'll just show the wording, not the listing as to stay within the SS rules.

I had the wording slightly wrong or they have changed it since I saw it last. It is highlighted in the red box. They have a listing for a 2008 model that is diesel without the registration disclaimer

Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 11.07.44 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-07-31 at 11.12.17 PM.jpg

JDToumanian

sounds like a typical DMV deal with employees that don't know crap. You do not have to register these trucks commercial before historic. I would call Sacramento and request all of the fees back do to incompetent DMV employees. In the future a private DMV service is the way to go as they do all the work for you and only charge $50-75
Yup... I just got the title and historic plates for my HEMTT. I did it all in one trip to Barstow DMV. Presented the SF-97, filled out forms, and they verified the VIN right there. No weight fees, no scale certificate, no commercial registration. The whole application did get kicked back a month later because I had to show proof of Louisiana taxes paid or I would have to pay CA taxes, I simply sent a copy of the GovPlanet 'paid in full' receipt to Sacramento and got the plates and title a month later. I guess there's a few things different when transferring title from another state, but it's definitely true about getting inconsistent results from one DMV to the next, and all the various employees.

Jon