• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Increasing payload capacity m1008

dkydfireman

Hey guys. I have a m1008 that I use to haul green firewood. I work on the side with a tree care company and I'd like to be able to haul as much wood as possible from jobsites in one trip. I had a load of hardwood the other day that was almost level with the top of the cab (I'm sure I was way overloaded).
It was wondering a little bit on the road but I had no problems stopping or accelerating and it was squatting pretty good in the rear.
Has anybody put a set of airbags or helper springs in or had a leaf or two added at the spring shop?
I'm looking to increase the payload capacity by 1000lbs or so. That should be enough for what I'll be doing.
I know the easiest route would be to put m1028 springs in it but I'm in Canada and they just aren't easy to find up here.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The air bags will work just fine . But you will still be overloading the tires ,risking a blowout .
Go to duel tire set-up or get a trailer with brakes

zout

As porkysplace brought up - you need to also get compliance on the tire load as well - more ply tire. Changing your air pressure is NG.

Helper springs - can go seperatly this route as well as
Air bag system is very good
Additional Shock load increase - get rid of stock shocks.

Might consider a rear stabilizer in the mix if it does not have one.

Get a trailer.

Matt65

Fireman,
Im in the same situation. I plan to take the trailer route in the future with brake controller added.

dkydfireman

Thanks for the reply's so far.

As far as tire ratings go I could be wrong but the way it was explained to me by a tire shop the "E" rated tires would be good for a vehicle weight of 12,168lbs with 4 tires (3042 x 4). Adding 1000lbs to my payload would put me at 9800lbs.

drgreg thanks for the link. I'll have a look at those.

gimpyrobb I wish I had the room for a trailer. I live in the city and there is 3 cars in the driveway whick takes up all the room.

zout I never thought of adding a rear stabilizer. I'm going to look into that as well.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reply's so far.

As far as tire ratings go I could be wrong but the way it was explained to me by a tire shop the "E" rated tires would be good for a vehicle weight of 12,168lbs with 4 tires (3042 x 4). Adding 1000lbs to my payload would put me at 9800lbs.

drgreg thanks for the link. I'll have a look at those.

gimpyrobb I wish I had the room for a trailer. I live in the city and there is 3 cars in the driveway whick takes up all the room.

zout I never thought of adding a rear stabilizer. I'm going to look into that as well.
Your calculations for the tire load you are assuming a perfectly balanced load . But the problem you are having is the back is sagging witch means the load is heavier on the rear axel than the front . Load the truck and go to a truck scale you will find you have a greater weight on the rear axel than the front , this will also tell you if the rear tires are load beyond there capacity . 2cents

dkydfireman

The dually set-up would be the ideal way to go. No argument from me on that one.
It isn't that often I have that amount of wood to move and it would be nice to be able to set up the truck to carry it when needed every once in a while without hurting it or anybody else.

citizensoldier

The payload on my M1028 with single tires is 3600lbs with a 9400lb GVW. The tires are rated for 3042lbs at 80PSI per tire in the single configuration.. A sway bar would be a nice addition but it handles green firewood stacked higher than the cab just fine. I would think a good set of M1028 springs could be had for cheap even with shipping if you advertise in the classifieds. There are lots of guys parting them out right now. :D

dkydfireman

I'm scared to even guess at what shipping would be for a pair of those springs. I'm going to get some quotes for air bags on Monday and go from there.

If I can get a pair of springs here for cheaper than the air bags then thats what I'll try to do.
I was thinking that adding a couple hundred extra pounds to what the 1028s were rated for shouldn't be a huge deal for the tires or truck to handle as long as the springs could handle the load
Thanks for the suggestion.

citizensoldier

Your welcome.. I know shipping has gone up but 1 pallet might not be to much money. Unless Canada's shipping is real high? This I do not know about? A good spring shop could probably rebuild your M1008 spring and add the helpers/overloads just like the M1028 for a decent price.That might be a good affordable option if the airbags are to much money. Something to keep in mind is empty they ride like a pioneer wagon! LOL..

dkydfireman

I can get the firestone airbag kit to my door for roughly $350.

I don't think I can get a pallet shipped here for that and with my luck I'd end up with worn out springs.

Plus with no load I can remove the air from the bags for a better ride quality.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

ehuppert

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but.... The only difference between the 1028 and 1008 springs is the overload spring packs! I pulled a set of overloads and the perches from a one ton dually and installed on my 08. I've had the truck loaded over the top of the cab with wood, also had
1 3/4 tons of material loaded and no problems!.

With that said, i know i was legally overweight! Both on the tires and as far as the registration GVW!

The overload springs and frame perches (holes already drilled in frame) were used on a lot of the duallies, shouldn't be too difficult to source. And, overloads don't affect ride quality when unloaded

Eric

usmc80

I put a set of airbags on my F150 and increased the payload 3000lbs. Also invest in a compressor that goes under the hood, it's a life changer. It automatically checks the set pressure and adjust it during the ride. It's Awesome, I love it!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks