• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

increasing reliability and offroad performance

army70deuce

I used the winch within 4 days of getting the deuce to pull the tractor loaded with a 1,000lb bale on the front and back when it got stuck, then to get myself unstuck about 2 weeks later, definately keeping it. The use of the spare to prevent high centering sounds like a good idea, but I still want to relocate the tank and battery box because keeping sensative items away from rocks and stumps that might catch a corner is the main purpose. Ever see what happens when a PLS (catches a short Jersy barrier and rips a massive gash in the fuel tank......lets just say there's a reason for ground guides.

yeager1

I think these pictures sum up what you're trying to do, although this one is bobbed and bedless. Clearly clearance is increased and the chance of trail damage is lower, and it will work well off road. FYI- These pictures are from Eastern Surplus from a long time ago- I remembered them and did some searching to help you visualize your concept. It will work, and will be quite easy. I'd just throw the stock tank in the bed along with the batteries and make a nice diamond plate cover for them, put the spare next to them and you're there. And it will look different and awesome

Attachments

Green_gator

One idea for you is to mount a jobsite box in the bed and secure the fuel tank, tools, and batteries inside. One of the members here did this and I am still trying to find the thread / pictures. Provides security from idle hands as well as rocks and stumps.

DirtMagnet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that if we look at the amount of weight associated with moving a fuel cell and batteries to the bed of the vehicle in relation to the weight of the actual vehicle, it's peanuts.2cents

WyoDeuce

In my opinion the drivers side tool box is terrible. I went mudding today and everything in the box is soaked. My tow chain is rusty from last weekends mud bogging. My tool pouch with my adj. wrench and shear pins is soaked and the box has 1-2 inches of mud in the bottom. I allready keep my tow strap in the cab because the box fills with water. I will be moving all the rest of my stuff once it dries out.
On the other side my batteries are caked with mud. A buddy needed a jump and I ended up getting out a wire brush to scrape all the crap off the batteries.
When I got my truck I had no plans to modify it. Now that I have had it for a while I agree with the relocation of these items. If the tool box is empty because it fills with mud then it is pointless and needs to go. If the batteries are caked with mud and water then the battery box will rust out much faster and need replacement anyway.
The increased ground clearance would be great in these areas. It is very seldom that a ledge goes straight across a trail and causes high centering. A large rock to one side of a trail where one tire needs to go up and over is much more common. I run into spots on trails where my jeep would drive around a rock but my deuce must put a tire up on top of the rock because of it's size.

jwaller

on the arctic deuce's we move the batteries into the cab and put them under the pass seat. I think this is a much better location for all the trucks

army70deuce

Thanks for all the great suggestions, I agree that rocks or stumps protruding from the side are alot more hazardous and likely than high centering, and I like the idea of using a jobsite box for the tank and batteries because then you don't have to worry about securing the batteries and fuel tank independently. Will the 50Gal tank fit in a jobsite box? and how would you go about securing the tank in the box? Obviously you can bolt the box to the bed on the bottom and possibly the back, but I wouldn't want 50Gal of fuel unsecured shifting inside the job box. Thanks, and once again any suggestions and/or comments are greatly appreciated.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might want to be cautious about putting a fuel tank inside a closed box. It can collect fumes, that can be hazardous. The batteries in there can be a source of ignition. There is already a provision for having batteries under the passenger seat, so you wouldn't have to make something up. That is where they are in my truck, as it has the engine coolant heater, where the batteries usually go.

Lee in Alaska

WyoDeuce

Another good reason to relocate the tank to the bed is the possibility of water entering the fuel. The fording kit does nothing for the fuel tank. If the tank was underwater in the bed it would be shoulder deep water in the cab.

saddamsnightmare

May 19th, 2010.

The Fording kit does nothing for the fuel tank because the closeable vent on the tank cap seals out water. I do believe that the tank is pressurized in the fording kit, see the video of the REO Eager Beaver fording down in Florida on YouTube, that puppy was a cousin to a submarine, and if they can do it with a gas deuce, the diesels likely had the same system. Besides.... just buy a Unimog, then 95+% of your off road problems are solved from the factory.....:beer:

rmgill

What about something more along the lines of this Supcat Couger?

Added roll cage, nerf bars, skid plates and a re-worked bed to accommodate a lot of the necessary externally accessible storage on the ground from outside the bed. I'm kind of thinking a dropside bed with truck tool boxes mounted and two spare tire carriers mounted like this or a bit more like the ones on the MAN 2.5 and 5 tons. The a-frame folds down to the ground so you're not lifting the tire up or down to the trailside. Install a 2nd fuel tank like I did on my deuce for extra range AND add plates 'armor' around the tanks to protect them from rocks/logs and getting poked through.

Attachments

Last edited:

Green_gator

Ryan,
That is a great looking vehicle do you have any other info. I keep getting different results when I search the web for cougars.

rmgill

Sorry Walter, it's a Coyote TSV, not a Couger, I miss typed that.

See here:
Supacat's new 'Coyote' launched at DVD - Supacat

The new `Coyote` Tactical Support Vehicle (Light), due to enter service later this year in support of operations in Afghanistan, received its official launch today by Quentin Davies, Minister, Defence Equipment and Services, at DVD, the annual event showcasing land equipment for the UK’s Armed Forces. Designed by Supacat, over 70 of the new Coyote vehicles are being manufactured by Babcock alongside the existing Jackal 2 production line.

“The `Coyote` is the latest Supacat product developed to meet the rapidly evolving operational requirements of our armed forces. Coyote is an exciting new variant that will take the capability levels, both in terms of protection and mobility, of support type platforms way above that previously on offer to the UK forces”, said Nick Ames, Managing Director, Supacat.

`Coyote` shares common design features with the Jackal 2 and provides the same increased levels of protection and mobility. It’s 6x6 configuration offers a higher payload of up to 3,000 kilos and provides a large, flexible load space at the rear of the vehicle. Powered by the same 6.7 litre turbo-charged Cummins engine `Coyote` is equipped with a gun-ring and seats up to four crew.

In April a £74 million contract was awarded to Supacat as prime contractor, supported by Babcock as vehicle manufacturer, in response to the UK MoD’s latest Urgent Operational Requirement (UOR) to deliver more than 70 of the new 6x6 `Coyote` TSV(L) and around 110 Jackal 2, the enhanced, latest iteration of the widely acclaimed ‘Jackal’ weapons-mounted 4x4 patrol vehicle, also designed by Supacat and manufactured by Babcock. The contract for Coyote and Jackal 2 is part of the £700 million Protected Mobility Package announced by the MoD in late 2008.
Pretty nifty stowage eh?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks