• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Indiana 6000 hour MEP003A

steelypip

It sounds like a lot of runtime, but a little quick math shows that it's the equivalent of 30,000 miles at 50 mph avg. The engineering is not dissimilar from an over-the-road truck, and they go a lot further than that between overhauls even without oil microfiltration.

I suspect that it's all about the load cycles. If the thing was run at 80-100% for hours at a time it's probably in great shape as long as it wasn't in a dusty area and received regular maintenance. My guess is that dirt, sitting around, or short run cycles is what kills these things.

PeterD

Just to muddy the water a bit, I did see, at a private auction, a generator set with about 20K hours on it... Now, we can consider that one to be 'well used'!

derf

My Kubota was a rental unit that they cycled out at 10,000 hours. I did have to replace the gen head but I expect the motor is good for at least another 10,000 before overhaul.
Diesel powered reefer trailers run constantly and go many tens of thousands of hours before overhaul.

jbk

i just got a 003 with 2100 hrs. $500.00 off gsa. looked rough like it spent its entire life exposed to the elements. just got it running today. it had a bad master switch, fuel pump, and a little playing with the ip, anyway runs like a top and works.

derf

Congrats.

I picked up a used Titan (China Diesel) 5500W portable today with an extra gen head for $140. I got it started momentarily but the tank was so full of gunk that it didn't run long. It should be pretty good once I get it cleaned up a little. The meter shows 61 hours of use.

derf

With GL stuff it is almost always physical appearance that dictates value more so than hours, to me.
People buy police cars at auction and are happy that the cars only have 80,000 miles on them. What they don't know is cops will sit all day in the car with it idling. They will burn tanks of gas and go nowhere.
With surplus equipment it may have been used hard and abused or stored indoors and test run only. In my experience there is a good explanation or reason for the sale. Two 701As I got were parted from a trailer mounted steam cleaner, as stated in the auction. One fired up immediately and only needed a battery, having oil and fuel in it when I got it. The other had minor issues.
You can never surely tell the condition of an auction item but in general if it looks good it probably is, IMHO.

hedgehog69

Few months ago, I saw 2 MEP003a's sell at ft. Riley. Don't recall hours....but I do recall that one went for just over $3k...and the second on just under $3k. Seems like quite a pricey risk for an unproven machine.

derf

Few months ago, I saw 2 MEP003a's sell at ft. Riley. Don't recall hours....but I do recall that one went for just over $3k...and the second on just under $3k. Seems like quite a pricey risk for an unproven machine.
Yes, on one hand. But, on the other, where can you buy a used 12.5kW Diesel generator as good as those for $3000? If you have familiarity, experience, and parts then the chances that you can get it running (if not already) are good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks