• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Indicator lights at start-up; Bulb replacement

rjinga

I thought I saw this addressed somewhere, but I can't find the post. Here's my question: Which indicator/idiot lights are supposed to light up at ignition?

Right now, in the upper left hand bank all I get it Gen 1 (and my voltmeter isn't registering either). I didn't even know I had a 4WD light. Also, no "water in tank" light, and no hi beam indicator.

Also, can you remove the bulbs from the front? I ask that because I've got the instrument cluster cover off right now and I'd rather replace any bulbs now before I reinstall.

mistaken1

The -10 manual indicates which lights should be on but in simple terms other than the 4-wheel drive light they all should light when the key is first turned on (this is to verify the lamps are good).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some lights come on when the key is run and some come on when the key is in start.

The TM 9-2320-289-10 Operators Manual covers this. You have read it haven't you? ;)

The 4x4 light only comes on when the key is in run and the 4x4 is engaged.

If you do not have the GEN2 light or the Voltmeter, tehn your GEN2 is not working nor charging your rear battery. Check the 24v fuse.

You might be able to replace a bulb but you really need to remove the socket from the back side.

These trucks have lived a hard life and the electrical connectors get dirty and corrode. You really should remove the entire cluster and clean all the contacts. You will be amazed how better things will work.

DonK

Oh...you new guys:grin:...like the OD's said, read the TM's....Then pull the cluster and clean the overlay, check the bulbs and replace as needed and go from there. Just a suggestion from the Walton County Chapter...[thumbzup]

combatmech

:ditto: The MV owners mantra is...... If it's electrical CLEAN IT. If it's rubber REPLACE IT [thumbzup]
I forget who said it... He's around here somewhere.
There had been a thread about cluster re-building.
I did mine some time ago with help from the search feature on this very website.

Last edited:

dstang97

That was my thread. They should all light up except for the 4wd one. Either with turning the key to run or on. Thats how you know they work. If they do not work 99.9% of the time its the contacts.

dstang97

Warthog did the cluster decodeing
Rabelt said if its rubber replace. if its electrical clean it
Dstang had a thread about this somewhere.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks