• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Industrial centrifuge in upstate SC?

G-Force

I knew it was a tramp oil seperator. I looked it up and it also says it also is used to clean tool oil and other light oils.

I would appreciate any advice you have to offer. I have a manual, so I will scan it and send you the cross section.

I am considering buying an OTB 2-00-066. What do you know about this centrifuge. I can get it for a really good price.
Do you have a serial number for the OTB2??
Thats a nice little machine.
Its a solid bowl or take down machine and not a desludger. So you'll have to clean it once in a while or whenever you shut it down.
Look at the bowl carefully and make sure there are no pittings. Pittings can be the death call for bowl parts.
You could also convert it to VFD driven if you want. This way you don't have to change clutch shoes and this can save you money.
If you have the serial number I can check to see what it was sold for and to who.
Let me know.

Blind Driver

my searching has reveiled that a used industrial centrifuge can be bought for under $2 k. A oil purifier is $1800 from China, but shipping may kill the deal as there are no US distributers.

exbrown

my searching has reveiled that a used industrial centrifuge can be bought for under $2 k. A oil purifier is $1800 from China, but shipping may kill the deal as there are no US distributers.

I know someone who has bought several like that. He said that the shipping is always much more than indicated. He also plans on rebuilding them when they come in. His company works with biodiesel and they use many centrifuges.

Blind Driver

Apparently, the Westfalia fuel seporator OTB-2-00-066 is used in yachts and larger fishing boats and such for cleaning the engine oil. I see it's also used for cleaning biodiesel.

Hurry up and buy it and start 'fuging some oil :jumpin: then report back.

I can't find where to buy parts. Looks like it was originally an expensive unit. I hope the cost of parts won't break this deal.

G-Force

Apparently, the Westfalia fuel seporator OTB-2-00-066 is used in yachts and larger fishing boats and such for cleaning the engine oil. I see it's also used for cleaning biodiesel.

Hurry up and buy it and start 'fuging some oil :jumpin: then report back.

I can't find where to buy parts. Looks like it was originally an expensive unit. I hope the cost of parts won't break this deal.
It depends on what you consider EXPENSIVE.......and you can only buy the parts from the manufacturer (us) unless you go aftermarket.....if they make aftermarket parts for that machine. But since it is such a small unit I would be surprised if they did.
Also, if you buy it and you call to buy parts they are going to ask you for the model and serial number and you'll have to open an account or use a credit card. Then they will ask you for your shipping address and thats when the bells will go off.....since they'll check the machine card and find out the machine is not at its original location it will require a safety inspection before you can buy parts. This is a CYA for us to make sure the unit is safe to run and properly installed (you'd be surprised what you find on a safety inspection). The cost of a safety inspection is just travel and expenses. But if something happens to the machine while you are running it and you were sold parts without a safety inspection we will wind up getting drawn into a lawsuit. And beleive me.....these thing are not pretty when they have a failure. Especially on this model because it has an external lock ring. They can also condemn the bowl if it is severely pitted and not sell you parts. So you should look it over very carefully before you pruchase it.

Last edited:

exbrown

Any idea who might be my closest distributor? Or maybe a link worth all of them?
I searched, but couldn't even find a parts vendor :roll:
There are several vendors that service the marine sector. Most are overseas, but there are a few in the US.

If you are wanting to purchase a machine from a vendor, it will be pricey.

I have gotten several quotes and they are sky high for a centrifuge. There are several places that will rent you a machine, but the monthly rental is many thousands of dollars per month.

Are you wanting a machine? If you send me a PM, I may be able to help.

Blind Driver

I've seen used equipment dealers selling 'fuges for under $2k on various industrial equipment sites. Some are used in unknown condition without a warranty. Others have been "reconditioned" and have a 30 day warranty for $4k+.

I am buying a 'fuge soon. I'm transferring all of my oil into totes and I'll start mixing with RUG into my drums this weekend.

Big oil companies may kiss my buttocks;)

exbrown

This is a CYA for us to make sure the unit is safe to run and properly installed (you'd be surprised what you find on a safety inspection). The cost of a safety inspection is just travel and expenses. But if something happens to the machine while you are running it and you were sold parts without a safety inspection we will wind up getting drawn into a lawsuit.

They can also condemn the bowl if it is severely pitted and not sell you parts. So you should look it over very carefully before you pruchase it.
I hate that it has come to that, buying parts should not be such a hassle, but with the world we live in, can't say that I blame them.

How much pitting are you talking about? Is it just the bowl that they are concerned about? Do you have any pictures to show what would be acceptable and what would be considered too bad?

Thanks for being so much help.

I have worked in the power industry for many many years. I have used centrifuges for oil cleaning, but they were very simple compared to these. The Sharples Supers are just big stainless tubes that spin at about 16,000 rpms. They were used to clean the turbine oil at coal and nuclear plants.

Last edited:

G-Force

We have machines in power plants also. We used to have them at the nuke plant but they went to a filtering system because they needed a new bowl bottom and didn't like thr price. Boy, what a mistake they made. From last I heard they are spending more on filters then when they had the separators.
Pittings are a judgment call. The problem with pittings is it might just look like little pits until you start machining it out. What happens is the corrosion is under the surface and the next thing you know you're at the maximum safe limit of material removal on the part and that little pit turned into a big corrosion area. And then the part is scrap.
The other thing to be concerned about is the play in the lock ring threads due to it being an external lock ring. External lock rings are usually made of a higher carbon content stainless steel. If they fail while in operation thats what holds the top to the bottom. It makes a mess of things and can ruin your day.....not to mention anything of value around the machine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks