• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inexpensive camper/utiliy box for m35a2

Found some rot in the upper bunk.

Insulated and paneled behind the bathroom.
Plumbed in the drain lines and screwed bathroom to the walls.

Next I will frame the walls around the enclosure and install my electrical panel.

And last but not least I extended the exhaust past the upper bunk after the siding caught fire pulling a long hill.

Attachments

SteelWarrior

Wow! Really great info here guys! Really, Thank you for taking the time to catalog all this info and take pics and all.
This information is invaluable to those of us with similar plans and very much appreciated. Not to mention really cool and fun to read.

unclemikey

Hi Guys, was glad to see that this thread was still alive and going. Good to see John is still at it, and so many of you still have the interest in a campers camper, or BOV, or whatever. I have been off planet for a while, however not to the cause. I did get the Deuse (Teotwawki Explorer) pretty far along. Have taken it to some shows and have been very well received by the public, surprised that more gals are of keen interest then the guys ( who would guess that! ) I pranged myself a time back and did some damage to my left leg and right shoulder. Driving the Deuce is now a bit harder than it used to be, so I am going have to whimp out, and let the unit go down the road ( that will be a hard day to face ). However, as they say " Go Bigger Young Man, Go Bigger ". So, I picked up a M925A2 with 7000 on it, that runs very strong. I helped a friend of mine ( wolf pack ) a time back to build a proto type camper unit out of the same type M925A2. We mounted a Travel Manor Fold out trailer for the camper unit. I think this is the place to say "WOW". Going down the road the camper is only a bit over the roof of the truck, and can keep up with traffic. The thing can go most anywhere it can fit, and is a breeze to drive. The thing about this project is when the unit is deployed, it is ( are you ready ) 23 ft long on the inside, with everything you could want in it. This is like having a condo with you. So, I said to myself,.......self, you have to build one of these. New project now just starting. I will set mine up just a bit different by having the camper a bit farther forward and mounting the spare tire under the camper. Anyway, I have posted a few pics you will get a kick out of.

P.S. Have been looking at a M1070. Do you think you could mount a.................No, that is just crazy talk!

Attachments

tamangel

I will set mine up just a bit different by having the camper a bit farther forward and mounting the spare tire under the camper.
Mikey, does the Travel Manor forward section go straight up when folding out? thought maybe that gap in the photos was there for slight forward movement when raising the structure. Sounds like it can be flush with the cab-back side then.. Great Idea..Was thinking longer bed required (927 / 928 ) but this is a refreshing alternative to a LWB rig.. I LIKE it.. sounds like in the Hi-Lo vs Tvav Manor head-to-head, TM wins.. interior fittings and overall construction at a par also? pro's/con's if any..?

Mike W

"All truth passes through three stages.
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
— Arthur Schopenhauer

Last edited:

unclemikey

John, I like the access door on the side of the bed. I was going to do that to my Deuce, but ended up changing types of camper. The job came out very good. That will prove to be a real plus in days to come. Kind of makes you admire a drop side, however they look a bit odd and are not as stout. Good job my friend. Unclemikey

unclemikey

S5032194.jpgS5032193.jpgS5032199.jpg(Tamangel) Mike, good questions on the camper types. As for the deployment of a Trailmanor, it is hard to describe in print. However, if you jump on to You tube and look up " putting up a Trainmanor trailer " there are a number of quick vids that will show you better than I could ever tell you. The drawback is when the unit is mounted on a truck the size of a M925, it puts the bloody thing up so high it is hard to deploy. With two people, and the drop sides as standing ramps, it is bit of an effort, but doable. With one person it can be an adventure. This is a bit hard to describe, but when I said I was going to mount the same type of camper on, but farther forward, the reason was for deployment ease. Number one it would look better and appear better balanced. In doing so however you could not deploy the camper. What I plan to do is mount the camper on a track system with a hydraulic ram. When it is deployed, the ram will move the entire unit to the rear, thereby giving a standing platform between the cab and front of the camper. This is the now location of the spare tire. It would then be easy to deploy the front part of the camper for one person. After the camper forward part is deployed to clear the cab roof, the hydraulic ram will then pull the whole unit back in place toward the cab. At that point with the help of an extension rod/handle the rear part of the camper can be deployed again by one person. Sounds like a real fun project doesn't it!

Your second question is opinion. The Hi Lo camper sets up it seconds with no effort short of pushing a switch. It's magic. The TM will take a bit of effort to put up, but when it is up, it is hard to believe you are in a camper, it is more like a small condo ( the best unit for this case is the one that has the living room at one end of the unit). The early Hi Lo campers ( like I have ) could be modified to gain quite a bit more room inside ( see pics ), the later models not so, they are much more like a truck slide in camper ( not much walk around room inside ). The Hi Lo has a steel frame and is very strong. Good for an MV camper, a steel box inside a steel box, when down. The TM is a ridged foam and fiberglass, stronger than you might think. They are both very good units, and really the only ones that are solid sides ( no canvas ) pop up tops. The are good trailers, but wonderful campers when mounted on a truck. It is just something you don't see. They are great for a MV application, as the trucks are super heavy duty, I don't think it would work as well on a civvy truck. The bottom line is you have a camper that is John Wayne on the outside and Ann Margret on the inside. Will go anywhere and be comfortable in doing it. When seeing how well Wolf Packs unit worked, I would stack it up along side of most any Unicat Camper, with a bit of savings in the range of a few hundred thousands dollars. Hope this helps. Unclemikey

SteelWarrior

That's why I find these threads so darned interesting. The innovation and craftsmanship is so cool. I love doing this kind of work.

Question: Why have the Generators I have seen folks mount under their MV's so darned big? I would think a nice quiet 2KW genny would be great for this application - I can think of a reason or two but was just wondering why you folks used them - Just because you used what you had on hand?

- Keep the posts coming!

I have a 5kw generator. It is really only for emergency power as we get camping sites with hookups. I want something that can power my house in case of a prolong outage. Small generators are nice and I may buy a small quite one some day and stick it in a side compartment. But I have found that when you need power the one you have is never big enough.

desert demon

Heres my ideal.

Got my dream tuck M35A2 bobber and then found an M35A2 cut down in to a trailer.Last summer striped down our 87 Coachman and takeing all the luxurys of the motorhome and going to make a camper out of the trailer.

Attachments

desert demon

That's why I find these threads so darned interesting. The innovation and craftsmanship is so cool. I love doing this kind of work.

Question: Why have the Generators I have seen folks mount under their MV's so darned big? I would think a nice quiet 2KW genny would be great for this application - I can think of a reason or two but was just wondering why you folks used them - Just because you used what you had on hand?

- Keep the posts coming!
For me im using what ever I have on hand or can scounge up.I was going to sell the motor home but got looking at how rotten the wood was getting and started adding stuff up and would have spent more money buying the luxurys for the camper build then what I could have sold the motorhome for.

unclemikey

Steelwarrior, I am with John 100% on this one. Always have more than you need. I have a 4000/3500 Generator. When I am in the field I mostly use the Gen for an electric chain saw, however when running the gen, I also am charging camper batteries, truck batteries, portable batteries or any other thing needed while the gen is running. No waste of fuel. I carry a husky gas chainsaw also, but it will use more fuel than the generator, and not get the extras. The gen also allow me to use an electric impact wrench, better than running the truck for an air impact, again less fuel. The problem with generators is where to mount them. Two pics for you, one is of my Deuce, generator is mounted where the spare was, this a good location, however when getting in deeper water, I have to move the generator first. second pic is a generator mounted in the space behind the front bumper of a M-925A2, can't see the gen for the cover over it, but you will get the idea.

Unclemikey

Attachments

Bighurt

Steelwarrior, I am with John 100% on this one. Always have more than you need. I have a 4000/3500 Generator. When I am in the field I mostly use the Gen for an electric chain saw, however when running the gen, I also am charging camper batteries, truck batteries, portable batteries or any other thing needed while the gen is running. No waste of fuel. I carry a husky gas chainsaw also, but it will use more fuel than the generator, and not get the extras. The gen also allow me to use an electric impact wrench, better than running the truck for an air impact, again less fuel. The problem with generators is where to mount them. Two pics for you, one is of my Deuce, generator is mounted where the spare was, this a good location, however when getting in deeper water, I have to move the generator first. second pic is a generator mounted in the space behind the front bumper of a M-925A2, can't see the gen for the cover over it, but you will get the idea.

Unclemikey
unclemikey, where's the build thread on that monster. I'd love to see more pictures than the teasers from earlier.

unclemikey

Bighurt,
Sorry I can't comply with your request as well as I would like. The Deuce is mine, but most of the photos of the build up are lock up in a dead computer. The M925A2 belongs to Wolf Pack, who builds some of the coolest things you ever did see, but never takes any pictures of the bloody things. I wound smack him for you, but he is younger and bigger than me, anyway the thought is there. Plan "B", I am just starting on a build of a M-925A2, that will look very much like Wolf Packs. It will not be quite the same, but close. I do take photos, and will do a build thread. So stand by.
P.S. I assume by " Monster " you are referring to the 5 ton......yes.

unclemikey

Desert Demon,
Good project you have in mind. The two schools of thought are, (1) drive the camper and tow the gear. (2) drive with the gear and tow the camper. One big advantage of number 2 is when camp has been set up, you still have the truck to use, and won't have to depend on a motorcycle. Both plans work well, just fit them to your needs. P.S. Did you pick up your Deuce Trailer off KLS not long ago. I love those things! Unclemikey.

Bighurt

Bighurt,
Sorry I can't comply with your request as well as I would like. The Deuce is mine, but most of the photos of the build up are lock up in a dead computer. The M925A2 belongs to Wolf Pack, who builds some of the coolest things you ever did see, but never takes any pictures of the bloody things. I wound smack him for you, but he is younger and bigger than me, anyway the thought is there. Plan "B", I am just starting on a build of a M-925A2, that will look very much like Wolf Packs. It will not be quite the same, but close. I do take photos, and will do a build thread. So stand by.
P.S. I assume by " Monster " you are referring to the 5 ton......yes.
Yeah I was referring to the 5 ton.

I have pics of all your trucks for when I get around to finally building mine.

Guess I thought the M925a2 was yours, look forward to reading you up and coming build.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks