• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inexpensive HMMWV Fuel Tank Drain Plug Replacement

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted to share with those considering replacing their stock fuel tank drain plug that I found an excellent alternative at Advance Auto to replace my near non-functional plug. I drained the very old fuel in my new-to-me Humvee this weekend and noticed that my old drain plug could just be plucked out with fingertips, the screw locking mechanism was overtightened and the end of the rubber was broken off. I suspect those rubber bits are gone but not forgotten, they're likely inside the tank.

In searching for a replacement plug I found the stock 3/4" dia. HMMWV fuel drain plug available from a couple of sources but they were costly and I'd have to deal with shipping. I noticed some posts that suggest marine plugs, and so went to West Marine to see what marine drain plugs they had. The only options available were the kind with a bail lever, something I fully expect would get caught on sticks or whatnot and let my drain plug get pulled out.

Searching online I realized Advance Auto had something I might use, so I trotted over to check it out. Adv Auto part number 02608 is listed as a generic rubber expansion plug on the shelf next to freeze plugs etc. and it seems to work just fine as a fuel plug too.

On top of that, it was less than $5. Installed it doesn't stick down very far, I only had to tighten the nut 3-4 turns to snug it up nicely, so it doesn't hang down much at all.

Bulldogger

AdvAuto_02608.jpg

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesn't say specifically. I'm going to find out! (I suspect it will be fine since it was intended for engine use in some way.)
Bdgr

donquijote

Bulldogger.... Absolute excellent part replacement for the drain plug. I broke mine in half last night taking out the fuel, and i remembered this post i came across... You saved me a 3 day wait and absolutely chose a better drain plug. Every m998 should use that!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Update: I had to tighten the plug yesterday after seeing a slow drip leak had formed. It tightened up easily and stopped leaking. It seems like the rubber softened up after being immersed a while in diesel. The factory website implied the material is Viton but didn't clearly state it for this product (i.e. they note much/all of their product is Viton).

I will check it regularly until I gain confidence and will report any findings here. Sure hope I don't have to replace it, since I've got 15 gallons of fuel in there now.

If you're thinking of buying this and using it, but don't see an update lately, I invite you to ask me to go check and report. We're in this to help each other.

Bulldogger

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was underneath my ride last evening doing a drain and fill of the trans/transaxle and checked for leaks at the fuel plug. Nothing noticeable. Still seems tight and doing fine.
Bulldogger

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
fuel plug

Was underneath my ride last evening doing a drain and fill of the trans/transaxle and checked for leaks at the fuel plug. Nothing noticeable. Still seems tight and doing fine.
Bulldogger
I used a Expand Tite brand #02609 7/8" plug3 months ago and it deteriorated with a major fuel leak on a full tank last night. I do not recommend using this type of plug. It is not fuel resistant!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is holding up fine. I bought it mostly bc it was locally available, and I won't argue w RWH. If I ever find myself having to remove it, I will likely take the time to source the OEM replacement. But that said, mine is showing no issues and is still tight. I haven't tried loosening it or removing it, for lack of a reason.
Bulldogger

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks