• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Info needed on 1983 USAF M35a2c

donkdonk

I am trying to fill out the SF97 and have been doing research for a few hours and just want to make sure that I put the right thing. Registration number is 83k900 Vin # is 0840-10464.

DD's MV Mag article on the subject says this:

1982 through 1987

By 1982 the Army changed the system again. The year returned, but now at the front of the registration number rather than at the rear. An example of this for a 1987 model is “87K2371.” The “newest” of these trucks thus far documented has been a 1987 model.
And this on who made the truck:

In 1983, cash-strapped American Motors sold AM General to LTV Corporation. Nine years later, a bankrupt LTV Corporation sold AM General to a group of private investors known as the Renco Group.
And finally this on lot numbers:

“08” was a small lot, apparently of about 500 trucks. From sequence number 10000 through about 10500, these trucks were 1982 production. A few trucks exist with sequence numbers in this range and 1983 registration numbers – this is likely indicative that production of this lot began late in the year. Only a few trucks are sequentially numbered as 1983 production. The registration numbers for these trucks were assigned in the same sequence as the serial number. For example, when the serial number increases by two, so does the registration number.
That makes my truck one of the 500 in lot 08 and one of the few 1983's, so my question is, who do I say made the truck? AM General or LTV Corp? Just want to avoid as many delays as possible. Thanks

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope David Doyle chimes in, but I believe that AM General was making trucks even though it was owned by LTV Corporation. So, to be correct, AM General made your truck. I've never heard of LTV Corporation making any deuces.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It should be titled as an AM General. Does your truck have the original data plate? If it is original it will say AM General. My old 1987 said AM General.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks