• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Info on Diesel Fuels

rlwm211

Here is a great link to a site with the individual state's tax per gallon.

http://www.gaspricewatch.com/usgastaxes.asp

In the "People's Republic of New York"

you can add local and state sales tax of at least 8%.

Some of the figures on this list are dated because they do not reflect
the increased sales tax due to higher prices on fuel.

To a politician sales tax is the gift that keeps on giving
because it is not fixed and rises with increased costs
thereby increasing revenue to the state for
no increased outlay of services..

RL

MiSasquatch

I gotta believe there's more infrastructure now then back when diesel was less than gasoline. How's that work?
No, it's just cause I bought my diesel. No other reason makes any sense.

rlwm211

The production of diesel used to be easier than Gasoline
as far as the refining process went.
The pinhead legistlators deciding to make diesel ULSD
has introduced another step in the refining process
as well as the required addition of a lubricant
to the fuel as the processs of removing the sulfer destroys
the lubricant qualities of the fuel itself.

Initial fleet testing of the ULSD resulted in the destruction
of several modern injector pumps on the vehicles
using the new blend of diesel fuel.

I reviewed this whole thread and the study
referenced in the first or second post is so dated
it is not relevant to the fuels we are using now.
I add to my fuel to preserve my 'antique' injector pump.

As to the costs, you can look at world politics
and national policy on drilling and building refineries
and understand why our fuel prices will do nothing
but rise for the foreseeable future.

RL

MiSasquatch

I find your post interesting as all the information on SS is very helpful while I try to understand and figure out all aspects whether talking fuel or related or any un-related issues. Please, don't get me wrong, I don't doubt anything you say and I'm not questioning your facts.
I continue to wonder why, as crude oil barrel prices go up and down by the dollar every day, and gasoline prices fluctuate almost by the minute, diesel remains constant for weeks or goes up.
Why should gas prices change so fast, up and down but diesel seems more stable. Don't gas and diesel come from the same "crude oil barrel" ? One barrel can be gas and the next diesel?
Can you understand my confusion? What'd I miss?

rlwm211

No Doubt there is a high degree of profiteering
on the part of the refineries and distributors.

I suspect that their logic (the cartels) is that since most diesel users
are defraying thier increased costs on thier customers and
the prices charged for transportation, the 'Cartel' does not see the
need to fluctuate the price based on costs like they do for the consumer
marketplace where it is a pure cost factor.

Just as the government believes that increasing fees
and other taxes and fees on businesses does nothing to increase
their costs because they pass these on to the general population in
higher prices, the cartels are simply applying
a government logic to their prices.
"Why decrease them if we do not have to?"

Competition fuels lower prices for any commodity.
If we had more competition in the production of crude,
the refining process and in the distribution of petroleum,
we would have lower prices.

Sadly, with the prevailing attitudes of the greenie weenies,
we will not see this anytime soon!

RL

MiSasquatch

Maybe the horse is the answer, to the fuel questions.
That and a mule train to haul everything, besides I got plenty of them already in the family. Just have to teach them better manners.
Thanks for the discussion.

southdave

I bet your wrong. My guess is it is our governments fault. Whos idea was it to have ULSD at the pumps instead of the regular diesel?
time for the tin foil hat, I think it had somthing to with that airline meeting they had back 2006 or seven with major airlines and sevral goverments ect.. ands the energy summit lol. the only thing I know we got crap fuel here in the states. started in 1993 when they had n.o2 requirement for diesel which ate all the seals in IP pumps causeing the vitron seals ect..
this from 1990 clean air act..

Areas not already required by the
Clean Air Act to implement the federal
reformulated gasoline program should
seriously consider opting into the program.
In addition to achieving substantial
reductions in emissions of​
VOCs and
toxics, the reformulated gasoline program
also offers relatively significant

NO,​
reductions beginning in the year

2000.​
Alternatively, states can exercise
the provisions
of Section 211(c)(4) of the
Act and adopt their own reformulated
gasoline program, including the
California reformulated gasoline program
or one focused exclusively on fuel properties
(e.g., reducing the sulfur content of
the fuel) affecting
NO, emissions. States
can also adopt reformulated diesel fuel
requirements, including the California
reformulated diesel program, which may
yield additional
NOx reductions from

diesel engines.

Last edited:

pacebm

I work in the oil industry and for a while worked at the largest crude oil terminal on the gulf coast. First and foremost, everyone on the list uses foreign oil. Unfortunately, the middle east has the cheapest oil to refine. North America has used all of our good crude already. What happens at most terminals and refineries is the mixing of different grades of crude to optimize the feed for the conditions of the plant (catalyst, etc.) and the planned split based on market conditions, i.e. winter you need more heating oil.

I work for them to pay the bills, not because I like what I see going on. I have been trying to switch industries for a couple of years but it is hard after 15 years of experience. I use WMO for the deuce and soon will be using it in the CUCV. If I ever get my home refinery figured out I will post it here for all to use. Biggest problem is low yield off of the WMO. 40% is about the best you could expect, in other words 100 gal WMO would make 40 gal of usable diesel but one of the advantages would be that the heavies could be used to heat the WMO for vaporization.

Our old diesels need all the lube they can get with the reduction in sulfur content. This has significantly raised refining costs and forced the blending of better grades of crude (Arabian) which cost more. All this equals higher cost at the pump. If you mix your clean WMO to an equivalent viscosity as diesel, your problems should be minimal if any. If you have any questions regarding some of the internal workings of the petroleum industry let me know and I will answer the best I can. I have worked in refining, pipelines, terminals, and in petrochemicals over the last 15 years. I don't have any experience in exploration but I do have friends who could answer any questions you might have about drilling.

God bless us all in the last years of the oil age.

Last edited:

dozer1

Wow that was good info, thanks pacebm. You said "God bless us all in the last years of the oil age"What is your estimate on how long the oil will flow freely? 5-50-100 years?

pacebm

I just don't have the knowledge to predict that, and no one does because who knows what other crude will be discovered. We know of crude in the ground but we either don't have the technology or the financial drive to get it out of the ground. It is much like all this crude contained in shale. There is a lot of it and we are just starting to figure out how to get it out of the shale. One big problem, unless crude is over $100 a barrel it is not even worth looking at, due to the cost of extraction.

p; but if you don't want to support people that hate us, then you might want to avoid certain oil companies and buy from Sunoco, ConocoPhillips, Sinclair, BP / Phillips, ARC0, Flying J and the others listed:

The problem is they mix the supply. dose not matter what brand you buy it all comes from the same tank. goes into a mixing tank where the specified additives are mixed in.

As for oil prices having to be over 100 dollars a barrel to justify drilling it only true because of the regulations put on the industry by wacko environmentalist. Everything we buy today is greatly inflated becouse of excess regulations and trial lawyers, from the hamburger you eat to the toothbrush you use before bed.

Srjeeper

Some additional info

Thought this may get more notice in this thread.
Came to me by way of 'rlwm22'& JATONKA after much research on there part to get some real facts.

Take a minute and look it over....[thumbzup]

Attachments

stumps

The only reason I ever used the Power Service stuff was to cut the gel in the winter time....it really does... And through the Power Of Wishful Thinking (POWT), one always hopes that it will cleanup a set of dirty injectors; however, if it actually does it is a very small improvement.

It is always interesting to see how poorly Lucas products perform under unbiased testing.

-Chuck

JDToumanian

That study has been posted here before... Very good info.

The "Super Tech" 2-cycle oil they tested - which is WalMart brand - in my opinion, is rather poor quality stuff. It's very thin / watery compared to other brands of 2-cycle oil. I use a little better than a 200:1 ratio of 2-cycle oil (1 quart per 30 or so gallons when I fill up) and I like to use the nice thick stuff.

I don't even know where to get any of the top performing products, around here the truck stops and auto parts stores sell Lucas, Stanadyne, Howe's, or Power Service.

Jon

rlwm211

Super Tech is refined for Walmart By Warren Petroleum out of NC if I am not mistaken. They are highly regarded and do a lot of refining for fleets and other retailers.

I am not concerned about the viscosity as once it is mixed it is diluted to such a degree that the relative viscosity of the original oil is meaningless. I actually think that the TCW3 certification is probably more important as it represents that the oil meets strict standards as to ash deposits and other nasties that can accumulate in your combustion chambers as a result of burning improper oils as an additive.

Regardless of how you approach this issue, it is important to recognize that the fuel we get today is not what our fuel distribution systems were ever designed for. As long as you keep the notion of adding something to protect the wearing surfaces in the injection pump system you are farther ahead than someone who doesn't.

Just my two cents or a little more's worth!

RL

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
After looking through some of the BioDiesel sites and seeing Sulphur as an additive, I was thinking about adding sulphur back into the diesel. I was wondering if I just added the Sulphur to the fuel if it would dissolve...

Asked my uncle, retired chemist. First thing that came out of his mouth was, you really want to tick the EPA off huh! After thinking about it, he could not come up with a way that you could just add Sulphur back into diesel at a molecular level. Pouring it into the tank and wishing will not cut it, it would require heat.

I left it with him to think about it and that when he comes up with an answer to please let me know.

Do we have any chemists in house that may be able to answer this, I'm really curious now...

rlwm211

Sulphur is not the the lubricant. It is removed to prevent sulfur dioxide emissions.

The process for removing the sulphur DESTROYS the lubricating properties of the fuel.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the original test program discovered that the ULSD would destroy a new style injection pump. Imagine what the non-lubricating fuel would do to an older pump with out the space age materials and technologies that are common place now?

Our ULSD fuel has a lubricant added to it, but not nearly enough to protect our AMBAC pumps.
RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks