• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Information for braking instructions for a M1083

buffalorunner

Honestly, I think you are barking up the wrong tree. The best witness is going to be the designer of the vehicle or a competent engineer who can speak on the mechanics at play. No one held a gun to this dudes head and told him to drive. All the requirements for a pre-drive inspection would be more or less universal to anyone with a class B license (who used it). Anything he was uncomfortable with or unsure of he should have not done. This lawsuit has the potential to degrade the reputation of the city and state in which this person was hired, and cost the city. It also has the potential to degrade our collector community.

And congratulations FORMER CPT Reserves, from current CPT (Active) Engineers.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Obviously the truck worked when it was driven to be painted. And it worked when the guy left the facility. This is a mechanical failure.

sue

All the atty. needs is a former( current? ) military mechanic or driver
who knows these trucks. Why all the blah, blah, blah

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like buffalorunner, I'm concerned about where this case goes. Flat out, any driver is responsible for their own pre-trip inspections. If they are uncomfortable or unfamiliar with the vehicle, it is THEIR responsibility to stop the trip. It seems someone is going after the perceived deep pockets of a municipality. If the OP wins his case, it puts the collector community and the city in GA in a bad spot with the public. Like some other things that are not to be discussed on this forum, I feel this thread is on the fringes of appropriate for public consumption. I don't feel like it is in the mission of our forum to provide legal expertise. I hope a moderator is reading this and can either take this offline or provide some guidelines for moving forward.

Oh, BTW did you all read your vehicle manual before taking off this morning? :whistle:

CMPPhil

Like buffalorunner, I'm concerned about where this case goes. ..... I hope a moderator is reading this and can either take this offline or provide some guidelines for moving forward.

Oh, BTW did you all read your vehicle manual before taking off this morning? :whistle:
Hi

Well said.

Cheers Phil

PS, I'm going to share this thread with some retired lawyer friends who are in the MV hobby they I expect will get a chuckle out of it.

PPS The point of reading the vehicle manual, is a good one. Not everyday but once a year is not a bad idea. I've been driving large MVS for more than 30 years and I mine surprised what I get reminder of each time I read a manual.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lawyers I've dealt with always seem to have impeccable spelling and grammar skills. Military Veteran lawyers usually know what branch of the Army they served in as well. Although I can see how the ordinance corps could be related to law, I don't believe that branch exists. I do know a few Ordnance officers...

I'm not a lawyer and I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn recently, but reaching out to a hobbyist forum for an expert witness in a jury trial doesn't stand out as a winning strategy to me.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like others, I strongly suspect the brakes were caged.

I speculate the guy jumped in and took off before there was sufficient air pressure, and when he didn't get the pedal response he expected, he pumped the brakes and dumped what little air he had.

This is of course blatant speculation, but the alternative is a perfect storm - multiple systems failed simultaneously.

I don't like the potential impact to the hobby.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I had a truck the brakes were fine I was driving it and then I only had service brakes. And it was real scary real fast. And then the spring brakes came back and I had brakes. I had good air pressure the whole time. I had previously checked the brake function and it was fine. Tm troubleshooting seemed to narrow it down to the anti compounding valve. Yes there is a tm flowchart for brakes don't stop the truck. I replaced the treadle and anti compounding valve and the problem went away. But it did happen. It was intermittent. A lot of the brake components build up gunk from the air dryer not doing its job and get sticky. It was not a brake chamber or pad related issue. Maybe that old air dryer needs service every few months to work right. I have never seen one that does much though.

rmargeson

Thank you buffalo runner. I do not intend to degrade the collector community of these vehicles in any way, shape form or fashion. I do appreciate your input. Thanks again. Robert

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks