• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Information on bolts, nuts, and other stuff

feets

I've been lurking in the shadows and living vicariously through you folks with big green trucks since I have yet to find the funds for one of my own. I read lots of the posts about winch installs and other mechanical repairs/modifications.
It's self-evident that these trucks aren't lightweight toys. To help guys have an easier and safer time with their trucks, I thought I'd share a helpful site I use for my hot rod and machine shop projects.

Mechanical Design, Manufacturing and Engineering Calculators - Engineers Edge

This site will help you determine the size of fasteners required to give you clamping loads, tensile loads, torque values, and other information on different grade bolts. Have you ever wondered how big of a bolt you need to use for a certain application?
Look here: Bolt Torque Calculator - Engineers Edge
Did you know that 100 ft/lbs of torque on a 1" bolt gives you 6000 lbs of clamping force?
This page: Fastener Torque Table SAE Grade - Engineers Edge will tell you how much torque you can put on different sizes and grades of bolts.
That 1" diameter grade 8 bolt will handle 880 ft/lbs of torque. That gives you 52,800 lbs of clamping force. Properly applied, one of those suckers could hold back a whole line of deuces!
This page: Torque Table Standard Bolt Sizes SAE - Engineers Edge tells you about bolts made from aluminum, brass, and other materials.

If you're not allergic to a little math you can find all kinds of interesting structural load information. It has some stuff that will leave your head spinning and other bits that will come in handy as you build things for the trucks. Some of the pages use those big fancy engineering terms but they make it easy to use by listing charts at the bottom of the calculation pages. The calculators actually let you insert your own numbers and it'll do the math for you.
Click away on the information links and see what you can find.

feets

It's a little geeky/nerdy for most folks I'm sure but it's a great way to figure out what you need to get a job done.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Geeky AND Nerdy, what a great combination for a post.

Thanks

sw