• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Information on M915

Dunyak

First of all I’m a new here and just joined today. I have a few questions about purchasing M915 on govliquidations.
1. If I were to buy an m915 (was looking at a1), are there parts available for them in case they break (if I take it to a shop will they be able to fix it)?
2. Is there any way to get them going faster than 60mph besides changing the tire size?
Thanks for your time, any info. will be appreciated. I’m not an 88M but I drove one of them in my unit (FYI I’m 42A/31B).

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Think you need to change the colors of your type. Can't read the black on green. White or yellow work. Why mess with success.

fasttruck

M 915 a1 with the allison transmission are quasi commercial vehicles and many common parts such as brakes, lights filters, etc are same as commercial trucks. The originals use a caterpillar transmission which is expensive to repair. Speed ? Tires or new ring and pinion set for each rear. Some electrical components are unique: Believe alternator makes 12 and 24 volts.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a quick forum search for "M915" and you will find all the Steel Soldiers member's experiences with these trucks so far.

I'm ok with the 58 mph top speed in a 28 year old truck. Seems plenty fast. Most of the common service items are commercial off the shelf (cots), but there are some exceptions like the fan clutch.

Welcome to the site btw.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's funny. I, too, was thinking of buying an M915A1. Hmmm...I wonder if we will try to "buy" the same truck?!?! Good luck. It ain't gonna be cheap.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Before you buy one remember you need a Commercial Drivers License for this vehicle.
You will also have to have a commercial insurance policy, I just paid around $300.00 for 6 months through Progressive.
I can put farm tags on mine but some states require that you get a DOT number and IFTA registration (bingo card) that allows you to operate in more than one state.
A lot of the parts are commercial but the windshield wipers are still air actuated (that was a dumass design). If you get the AMC version body parts will be a problem.
At this time I am looking for a section of hood, hood latch, air horn, speedo and tach cables.
The good news is that most of the electrics are 12 volt, starter is 24 volt and there is a 24 volt system so you can pull military trailers. It also has a hookup for the commercial pigtail so you can pull civy trailers.
I had a rust issue with one of the air tanks and had to modify a civy one to work bit it was an easy mod.
The 400 Cummins is a great engine and all of the filters are off the shelf items if you have the numbers off them.
Good luck.

skark_burmer

Before you buy one remember you need a Commercial Drivers License for this vehicle.
You sure?
Is it cause of the air brakes?

Hmm, wonder what the penalty would be if a regular license holder drives one from Ohio to Ca and gets pulled over for some reason. I'll have to factor that into my desire for the truck.

Chief_919

You sure?
Is it cause of the air brakes?

Hmm, wonder what the penalty would be if a regular license holder drives one from Ohio to Ca and gets pulled over for some reason. I'll have to factor that into my desire for the truck.
It is because of the GVWR. You also must stop at all weigh stations along the way.

If you are planning on buying a GL truck and then driving it that far, bad plan in my opinion for many reasons. First, you will not have a title, that means no tags or registration. The first weigh station you go through will find you with no tags, no registration, and no CDL. You will not have a good day, and your truck will likely end up in an impound lot.

Second, you don't have any idea if the truck runs, or drive correctly, or is capable of making the trip. I won't drive a GL truck that size off the lot- just too many things that can go wrong and way too much potential liability. Unlike a normal drive if something goes wrong, if you are driving an unregistered slavage truck right off the lot and it breaks and hurts somebody the ambulance chasing lawyers would have a field day with you, and you will be lucky to come out owning anything but the shirt on your back.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
CHIEF_919, unfortunately, there are a lot of guys in the drive-em-out club on this site. I agree with you wholeheartedly...better to get them hauled. I always factor in shipping when determining if I can afford a truck. If the cost of shipping a truck puts it out of my range, then I don't bid...or I look for a truck closer to home.

skark_burmer

The drive from Ohio comment was a bit tongue in cheek, the thought of showing up at DRMO and expecting to hop in and drive 2000 miles sight unseen is a bit more adventure than i care to chew off.

but then again, it would make for a good story...

Chief_919

CHIEF_919, unfortunately, there are a lot of guys in the drive-em-out club on this site. I agree with you wholeheartedly...better to get them hauled. I always factor in shipping when determining if I can afford a truck. If the cost of shipping a truck puts it out of my range, then I don't bid...or I look for a truck closer to home.

Yep.

I have seen a whole front wheel, hub and brake drum come off and go into oncoming traffic. I have seen a rear tire shred and the parts hit a passing motorcyclist. I have seen oil line rupture and leave oil on the road causing vehicle behind to skid and wreck. I have seen front tires blow out at 55 MPH. I have seen many brake failures.

All of the above I have seen on in service, maintained vehicles. Your average DRMO vehicle was well used, likey sat at the unit unmaintained before it was turned in for many months and likely had bad parts swapped for good. Then it went to DRMO and sat another 3-6 months before being sold, and all that time was subject to parts swapping. The risks are much higher on a fresh from GL truck.

On top of that, it is the fact that it is being driven off without a valid registration, tags or title that will really sink you should something happen. An accident is just that, but add the circumstances that you are driving a salvage truck off without a valid inspection, tags or registration and if the law does not hang you, the civil suit certainly will. They will sing that to the jury and the jury will eat it up.

If you don't believe me about the lawyers, go back to the old Mil-Veh archives and look for the case where a scumbag lawyer actually went to court and claimed that an m1009 owner caused an accident where another driver pulled in front of him because he had a camofluage vehicle, that was designed to make it hard for people too see, so it was the M1009 owners fault his client didn't see him and pulled out in front of him....

It would be risky enough if you were driving off with valid tags. But without, you just added a whole new huge level of risk to the equation should things go wrong....

OldGoat

Yep, I would agree, factor in the shipping. The last two I did I shipped. It cost more, but I have the chance to go over them before they hit the road with no pressure. I have seen so many screwed up trucks, barely or not at all drivable when I have picked these things up.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M915A1 was listed as "running" when sold by GL at WP. When the transport truck arrived here in Texas, the big General would hardly roll. The rear brake camshafts were nearly frozen. The fan belts were showing strings, the wipers quit after a few minutes in the rain. It would not have been fun doing all these repairs outside the gate with no way to get parts.

PorscheTech911

I to am looking to buy one of these trucks. Wreckerman and others have been great resources for info to me. Their help is greatly appreciated. Be sure to check out some of my posts since I have asked alot of the knucklehead questions already. Good luck finding one, and out-bidding me :D

~Adam

laserlee123

I bought my m915 from GL Hooks Texas, and it ran great, except for sticky brakes, nothing a greasing didn't fix.

Expect to buy batteries, although mine were good, the truck started right up 80 gals of fuel still in it was a bonus.
It started right up, plus a lots of water in the stack made fore a rusty shower.
The tires were bad an had to be replaced.

If you go to Wright Paterson OH, forget any help from the staff, and the fluids will likely be completely drained. I had to tow my 5 ton off site, and one day later had it up and running for the trip to MN.

WAYNE_L

My old slap stick m915 would do 60 mph no problem in germany .. But my tach card told on me !! when we got the a1 they were slower on the hills and tops speed was **** near 60 mph on flat ground .. we were restricted to 50 mph anyway so most never knew the potential .. i miss the slap stick on the autobahn passing all the german trucks lol

camp9

Yep.

j

If you don't believe me about the lawyers, go back to the old Mil-Veh archives and look for the case where a scumbag lawyer actually went to court and claimed that an m1009 owner caused an accident where another driver pulled in front of him because he had a camofluage vehicle, that was designed to make it hard for people too see, so it was the M1009 owners fault his client didn't see him and pulled out in front of him....

All the more reason to run with headlights on during the day. I'm sure the attorney could of still come up with some argument though. I live in a state where we have no-fault, but attorneys still try to come with with ways around it.

Irv

Insuring the M915

I have to disagree on the need for commercial insurance on the M915. Gulfway insured mine as a collectable. It has a GVWR of 50,000 and air brakes, so it needs a CDL to drive it, but doesn't need commercial insurance. Gulfway also states that it is ok to tow a trailer with it. To the best of my knowledge, they are the only ones out there that will insure this way.

I do agree that it would be best to haul or tow it (driveline removed, of course) away from GL and go over it at home before hitting the road in it. I used a Class B wrecker with a wheel lift and raised the nose of the M915 for the 200 mile trip home.

Irv

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have to disagree on the need for commercial insurance on the M915. Gulfway insured mine as a collectable.
That's fine as long as they don't put a lot of restrictions on what you do with it. Some collectors insurance will only cover you when using it as a hobby vehicle (parades, shows, back and forth to repair shops).

Did you explain to the agent what your intended purpose was?

If you misrepresented what you are going to do the company may not pay off in case of an accident (they have better lawyers than you do).

I work my truck like a rented mule.....I pay around 700 a year and am happy to do so because I want to be able to make the beast pay for it's keep.

Irv

Sure did. I do indeed only use it as a collector vehicle. I agree that if you misrepresent your use, you will find yourself uninsured as soon as you report an accident in commercial duty. There is no point in getting insurance if it won't stand up when you need it. Well, you might be able to wave the insurance card at a cop and they might not give you a ticket for being uninsured, but that's all you could hope for.

Irv