• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

injection pump going bad?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
I've not gotten around to installing a guage yet but I've run into a problem.

I've heard ya'll talk about fuel filters stopping up causing high EGT's and low power, so I think that might be what's happening. I've got really high EGT's, 1150*F in 4th! And it's taking forever to get to 45 indicated by the speedo due to having to keep my foot out of it because of the temps. This started last week when I hit a 1/4 tank so I pulled the in tank pump. Replaced pick-up hose and correctly adjusted pump depth(it was too short). Pumped the tank to check it for trash and it was shockingly clean, nothing but some varnish. Made a new batch of fuel at 60%WMO to 40% diesil since I have added 5 more gallons diesil and 3 gallons gas. This batch has more diesil content that I normally run so I was hoping to have more power and great smoke. I had truck pull quality smoke almost, it was just a little too much! So I added 3 gallons gas which has cleaned it up considerably. It idles at 350*F, the air filter has not been changed but the indicator has not shown yet either. The fuel filters were changed 1500 miles ago. And my truck is sitting on 395's so the temps runn a little hot anyway.

Any input, or is this text book filters clogged?
clogged filters would result in drasticly lower egt since there would be less fuel. it is just not a good idea to mix fuel and oils etc. there must be more to the story than you are telling us. has the HH been removed and replaced?

Ford Mechanic

No that's the whole story, I've had it going on 10 months, put 1500 miles on it running WMO/diesil mix. The only things I've done to it since Jan. other than drive it which I've done alot of is
1/2013
Install tool box
Install remote master cyl. res.
installed muffler
lubed wiper motors and compressor regulator
turned IP down 1 flat

4/2013
Removed and repaired radiator
replaced all 3 belts
repaint front black
install air scoop

5/2013
install fuse panel and aux lights
lubed air pack

7/2013
Fuel pump adjust and replace hose

I keep a log for everything I do, so I've not done anything other than drive it for a month when I started having this problem. I drive it 2-5 days a week typically, 8 miles each way, so it does more warm up and cool down than hard running. Always has ran good, just all of a sudden started any thoughts?

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
what is the boost pressure when egt is high?? what kind of muffler, it must be a straight thru design with no baffles, i.e., you can see thru it.

Last edited:

Ford Mechanic

what is the boost pressure when egt is high?? what kind of muffler, it must be a straight thru design with no baffles, i.e., you can see thru it.
I don't have a boost guage installed, but I could temporarily install one for testing purposes. What gear, rpm, and throttle input are you looking for a reading for? In 5th I just can lean on the pedal a little with out sending the EGT over 1200*F, I can hear the turbo (C) and it's not getting up to full spool like I can hear it doing in other gears where I can get after it without worry. The muffler is the Donaldson one and it does have 1 baffle in it and no fiberglass packing. I had higher than normal EGT's after I installed it so I drilled a series of holes in the baffle until my EGT's dropped to a normal level and I still had lower than normal db in the cab. I can't remember what it was supposed to flow before my mods to it, but I got the name and part number from others here that had installed them without problem.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
at 2500 rpm full throttle you should have at least 9 psi boost. fuel = power, and heat. filters being clogged is just like not putting your foot into it so lower heat and no power. are your brakes dragging?

Ford Mechanic

at 2500 rpm full throttle you should have at least 9 psi boost. fuel = power, and heat. filters being clogged is just like not putting your foot into it so lower heat and no power. are your brakes dragging?
Yeah one in the front is dragging, I don't belive the rear are but I'm fixing to check it tonight or tomarrow depending on the rain.I 've been thru the rears already to fix axle seal leaks on 10/2012 before I started driving it. 2500rpm in neutral?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
Yeah one in the front is dragging, I don't belive the rear are but I'm fixing to check it tonight or tomarrow depending on the rain.I 've been thru the rears already to fix axle seal leaks on 10/2012 before I started driving it. 2500rpm in neutral?
no, full throttle under load. 9psi is the conservative factory setting.

Ford Mechanic

no, full throttle under load. 9psi is the conservative factory setting.
Opps! I wish I would have checked this before I just ran the test. Hope 2500 rpm won't hurt the engine in neutral. Any way I got 4 psi in neutral at 2500 rpm. I'll have to check it tomarrow running down the road. does it matter what gear? I can make a pull like that in 3rd or 4th no problem but not 5th... Not just too hot but also over the speed limit! 45 indicated is 55 actual road speed in my truck and that's at 2100 rpm. Thanks for all the help! It's much appreciated.

Ford Mechanic

Alright got the turbo boost test run last night and my numbers are as follows
4th gear 2000-2200 rpm WOT 10-11psi 1150*-1170*F
I did see 12-13 psi in 3rd one time
5th gear 2000-2100 cruising 8psi 1150*F
5th gear 2000-2100 light accel 10psi 1200*-1220*F

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks