• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection pump installation

2deuce

How do you guys install the injection pump pipes to the injection pump. I don't see an easy way to tell if they are in the correct position since the bottom pipes on the IP can't be tightened after the pump is installed. Do you install those bottom pipes to the IP loose, then install the IP, get them where they have to be then take the IP back out and do a final tightening? re-install the pump, and then install the upper pipes? Anyone have a good step by step for a newb at this?
Thanks

Last edited:

antennaclimber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my M1009, I installed the IP then installed the lower injector lines. It takes a little bit of doing to get to the lower lines to tighten them but it can be done. I think I used a long open end wrench and was able to get to all of them.

Take pictures of the IP with the lines connected prior to removing them. Color coding them with colored tape helps to identify
where the lines go helps as well.

Good luck.
Karl

ralbelt

When I reinstalled my heads and intake, I had the lines off and did not remove the IP. When tightening the lines I used a crows foot on a extension and a ratchet handle. I did tape and number each line when removed.

JAsher45

when i have to change out IP's on the dyno i take the lines off of the injectors and remove the lines with the pump and then put the lines on the new pump... it takes about 5 mins more time.. but will save you in the long run.. it is not cheap to cross thread the lines and fittings on those two bottom lines... work smarter not harder

stump

I use a snap -n openend angle wrench both ends are open and at different angles. They are about $40.00 but I did alot of injection pumps for the Military shop I worked in. I also have a 5/8 wrench that I cut at 4 inches long and bent at 90% and welded to a chisel that fit into a socket that I could turn with a ratchet. Worked great if you had a line leak and the intake was already on. I also made two metal plates that covered the center holes for the intake manifold that could be put on to run the engine without the intake on.

2deuce

Thanks to all of you for the ideas. I don't have a big tool selection. Ralbelt, possibly I can get this crows foot, is that what it is actually called? I'll ask napa for a crows foot? I think I'll remove the old IP with the lines attached as Jasher45 suggests, and assemble the new pipes on the replacement pump, using the old pump and pipes as a polish blue print. I didn't know I could get it out all together. I'm going to change out the injectors and pipes anyway, plus the valve covers. Everything on there now is rusty and if the rough idle I have is due to an injector, it will hopefully idle smooth. My 1009 was a home to mice for 4 years as it sat idle at the Oregon State Univ Dairy. I have the nastiest looking engine ever. Now it should look good after I move these parts over from a bad engine. I'm doing the IP change as I've had to clean the ip return twice in the last week so I think the ip was on its last legs. Thanks again

mattm257

I will be replacing my IP in the next two weeks and could use some advice. I have read about the three bolts to remove under the oil filler neck, expose them one at a time by turning the engine over by hand? 2deuce let us know how it goes removing the IP with the lines attached, and what tricks you learn along the way. Also any tips on getting the timing marks right etc... makes me nervous not having any diesel experience other than on heavy equipment. But than again with this site how could I go wrong? or and the nearest diesel shop wants over $500 just labor for the pump switch.
thanks

2deuce

Let me say 1st, I'm not a mechanic. Things like this take me alot longer. I was going to swap valve covers, because the old ones are ugly but they aren't leaking and I needed the truck running so that didn't get done. I know the IP was bad because I had to clean out the glass bead return twice in the last week and the idle was getting rougher and rougher. I took the the old IP out whole, it looked like a big spider, it turned easily, you could say sloppily and inside the housing where it bolts up were those pieces I found around the glass bead, they were everywhere and much bigger. Removal was all straight forward, just alot of screws, bolts and clips, but I had to disconnect the fuel hoses so I could bend the fuel lines back so the old IP could slide back out of the housing whole after it was unbolted. I also removed the injectors, because I have had this rough idle for the last 2 years and about 15-20K miles and I didn't want to chance that remaining. I just brought a M1031 home from GL and the engine I think was run without oil. It was cannibalized bad, but it was a Tead rebuild in '93 and the pump and injectors looked good. The pump had a tag on it of 3/92. I thought it was a good chance to take. I took that out in pieces and re-assembled it to where it was like the old IP and pipes. Removing the rusty wire clips from the return lines on the old injectors was very time consuming, because they were in such poor condition. I re-used the clips and hoses from the replacement IP. That was a time consuming affair also. Napa does sell a kit for all this but I only bought the copper gaskets, (he actually gave them to me) I didn't ask what the kit costs but all new stuff would have been faster and easier to assemble. The owner of the napa loaned me his personal snap-on 30mm injector socket, there is a special socket for the injectors. That was very nice of him. Putting in the assembled IP was easy, but I didn't realize there are 5 holes on the plate or gear that the injector bolts up to. I put the pin in the wrong hole. I would advise pulling the rubber grommet out of the fill tube opening so you can see in there better. The pin should go in the oblong hole, if you do as I did the 3rd bolt won't screw in and you can't see and figure out why. I went back to my old pump and opposite of the pin on the old pump is a round mark. That told me there must be another hole. I had to pry out the pump far enough to get the pin free of the wrong hole and then turn the engine to line up the right one. I could see my mistake easy with the rubber out. The problem I had was I had all the clips in and bolted up, before I bolted the IP up, it might be wise to bolt that IP in 1st at least if this is your 1st one. I screwed up the IP gasket prying it back out.aua My next problem was bolting up the throttle bracket I did it after the intake manifold was back on and there is little room in there and to make matters worse the top hole in the IP was stripped out. It took me awhile to figure this out. Tried the bolt in the old IP, fit fine, then I remembered all the locktite when I took it out of the M1031. This is another problem of using used parts. Probably that bolt got loose and the movement from the throttle action wallowed out the hole. I used a spare IP bolt, which is just a shade longer with some JB weld. I think it will hold. Bled the air out and the truck started up and idled perfect. I advanced the timing about 1/16 but I may put it back to the line. I wonder what it costs and the benefits in power and mileage to having the timing professionally set? I know I would have this done if I was installing a turbo.
I would add that plan on it taking twice as long as you figured if its your 1st time. The only other tool I had to buy was a 15mm deep socket for some of the intake bolts. Hope my experience helps someone.

Last edited:

JAsher45

well it looks like you made it... glad we could help. your timing should be just fine if you have the static timing marks lined up or even a 1/16th advanced. it is good for a little more power on the top end..... 5-10 hp at WOT. lets us know how it drives and responds on the shake down runs.

2deuce

So far, I've only gone about 7 or 8 miles, but it runs fine and idles nice. I'm alittle worried I may have advanced it too much. Is there any symptom that points to this? I don't feel a lack of power, but no seat of the pants power gains either with in town driving. I also drilled 3 large holes in my air cleaner housing for more air, used a door latch hole saw. I'll take it out on the freeway soon to see how it pulls.
Thanks

JAsher45

if you feel that you have advanced it to far just bring it back to the static marks on the pump and the front cover and call it good. it will be hard to really see if you will have any more power or not from just chagine the pump... not like if you had it built and set for more power

sparky1

this install procedure is easy and works every time.first determine where the pin slot is.dont have to turn engine. use mirror.compare to clock.is it at 6 oclock,12oclock?remember location.turn the hub on the pump so it simulates the gear.set pump into valley and leave one inch of the mounting flange on the pump hanging out.now pass a 5 inch long dummy bolt through the gear and mate it up with its tapped hole in the pump.screw in a few threads.you can see this through the one inch gap.now ease the pump foward and nest it its proper location.put on top nut.remove dummy bolt.install correct bolt(dont drop)and tighten.rotate engine by the alt nut(belts must be tight)until next hole comes to view.install bolt and tighten.same deal on the last bolt.i have done this 5 times and works great.
the bolt pattern is unequally spaced so it only bolts up one way.

2deuce

With the rubber grommet out you can see in there pretty good. I just didn't realize there are 2 holes in there that are 180* apart. All the holes line up with the pin in the wrong hole also but one bolt won't fit. Looks like it should, but with the pin in the slotted hole, (which is the only hole in there that isn't round) your good. Live and learn.

2deuce

Yes, inside the case. Remove the oil fill neck and you can see the 3 bolts and pin.

I moved the timing back so the marks line up and it seems to run even better. Thats where I'll leave it. I'm betting that the guys living with a slightly rough idle that cleans up and runs smooth when they give it the throttle will find that this is a symptom of their IP showing signs of wear. I also changed my injectors, so it is possible that was a factor, but they were all burning clean. THe fact that the slight miss was so random, and that it got worse as the pump began spitting out pieces in the return line, points to the pump as the cause of the problem. I have lived with that slight miss for a couple years, now its gone and it runs smooth. IF my mpg improves I'll let you know.