• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection pump O ring replacement

Z71

Is it easy to replace both the fuel shut off lever and the hydraulic head O-rings with the injection pump in place? What obvious precautions should be taken? Is it better to remove the pump from the engine? I saw a video on U tube for replacing the shut off lever O-ring, but did not find one for replacing the hydraulic head O-rings. When you pull off the hydraulic head, do any small parts fall out unexpectedly? If I do this with the pump in place (preferred option) I would definitely use plenty of towels or rags everywhere under the pump to keep small parts from falling through.

Last edited:

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember seeing several posts (I believe it was on this site) on what is required, as well as photos of the head o rings on the pump. You might want to do some more searching. TM 9-2910-226-34 is the TM for the pump itself. Where did you get the fuel shut off leaver O rings?

Z71

I remember seeing several posts (I believe it was on this site) on what is required, as well as photos of the head o rings on the pump. You might want to do some more searching. TM 9-2910-226-34 is the TM for the pump itself. Where did you get the fuel shut off leaver O rings?
Someone on this site (do not remember the name) sells all three O-rings required, made of correct material. I think there is a youtube video on replacing the shut off O ring made by the same guy. Do some searching.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
This may be part of an answer to your question
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?128507-Throttle-Stop-Shaft-O-ring-Size

and this might help too
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?69241-Removing-rebuilding-reinstalling-Hydraulic-Head see post #83

Kenny and I recently replaced my o-rings under my HH. They are Viton # 227, # 230, and # 013.

There is lots more
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?72201-Hyd-Head-Replacement

Now if I could find where all those good stickies hide I could read up

Last edited:

Z71

If diesel fuel leaks into the engine oil, is this caused by the fuel shut off shaft O ring leak, or can this be also caused by leaky hydraulic head O rings? Also0, can I replace these O rings with the fuel pump still mounted on the engine?

rustystud

If diesel fuel leaks into the engine oil, is this caused by the fuel shut off shaft O ring leak, or can this be also caused by leaky hydraulic head O rings? Also0, can I replace these O rings with the fuel pump still mounted on the engine?
024.jpg025.jpg029.jpg034.jpg031.jpg032.jpg
038.jpg039.jpg042.jpg

Pictures one and two shows the only place that has fuel that can enter the injection pump itself (not including the FDC and boost pump shaft) . There are three 'O' rings that keep the fuel in. They are sizes "2-230" , "2-227" and ".013" . All are "Nitrile" .
The other two places that can leak fuel into the pump is from the "FDC" (fuel density compensator) and "boost pump shaft" . Picture four shows the brass plug that can leak. Pictures six and seven shows the shaft that can leak fuel.
You can see in picture eight that I'm up to my knees in injection pump parts right now ! Also if anyone has a spare fuel control rod (picture nine) I could use a few as two of mine are severally bent.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, the boost pump shaft seal can allow fuel onto the oil.

rustystud

048.jpg050.jpg051.jpg

The third way fuel can enter the injection pump and the engine crankcase is through the "fuel boost pump" . Picture one shows the shaft seal that can leak, and the other two show the pump itself and how it mounts to the injection pump housing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks