• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection pump problems

1986cucvM1009

The other day I noticed my 09 had a puddle of diesel under it. So, I traced it up the injection pump where it was dripping around the throttle shaft. I ordered a new rebuilt IP from DCPcart.com, which was for the J-code. Three days later I put the new IP on and started it. It ran great, until I turned it off. The key was was off but the engine wasn't. That turned out to be to be a stuck solenoid. After that was fixed I took it for a test ride and the truck has less power than before. I'm Its first civilian owner and the old IP was the original. The old IP even had the paint the top 4 bolts so the fuel was never turned up. Does it need the fuel turned up? Some advice would be helpful.

That would probably work if you rebuilt your old pump, but I believe a new pump needs to be separately timed. Could be wrong, just an idea.

Barrman

Does it run louder or quieter than before? That is the best indicator of timing without the very hard to find and costly timing gear. Advance gives a bit more power and a lot more noise. By advanced, I mean the pump line is 1/16" to the drivers side of the line on the block. Not much does a lot for these things. If you go more than that, bad things could happen.

Barrman

I forgot to add that when I put a new pump on my M1009 last fall, I put it in just a hair advanced. Had the no turn off condition as well until I swapped in the old cover. The thing is much louder at idle, lots more power and I haven't been above 18 mpg since either. Used to get 20-22. I just can't bring myself to retard it any. Super fast starts and power versus a few dollars each fill up? Power!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks