• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection Pump Rebuild Kit for Mack???

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys,
I am looking for a rebuild kit for the IP off my M246 Mack motor. I looking around and found some for the Cummings and Multi-Fuel, however nothing for the Mack. I believe my M246 is a 1963 so that makes the manufacturer date for the Motor before that. If you have any information to send me down the right path I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

m139h2otruck

Suggest that you take the pump to a good local diesel pump rebuilder. Should be able to fix any problems with the pump is they are any good at all.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One can reseal (and in the case of the roostamaster pump, repair the ring that fails) at home. But to 100% rebuild and flow it, you need a calibration bench. If it's leaking fuel but running fine, I'll try to reseal it at home. The only pump I managed to "repair" from not running at all was a MEP003 style pump. Which is VERY basic.

Is the engine running good or does it have fuel delivery issues? Or is the pump leaking?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Hey guys,
I am looking for a rebuild kit for the IP off my M246 Mack motor. I looking around and found some for the Cummings and Multi-Fuel, however nothing for the Mack. I believe my M246 is a 1963 so that makes the manufacturer date for the Motor before that. If you have any information to send me down the right path I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.
Get ahold of AMGENERAL, he is the mack geru, a 63 truck does not mean the motor is older then the truck, could be a rebuild, a replacement, a repower, ect.

AMGeneral

Ok, a few pointers here,Are you 100% sure the fuel filters are clean?

Have you checked to see if it is getting the proper 12 psi fuel pressure supplied to the injection pump?

Is the check valve working properly on the return line?

If you answered YES to the above questions, Is the problem lacking on power,Missing ? or hard to start/no start?

I am gonna echo M139's statement,take the pump AND all 6 injectors to your local diesel pump shop and have them asess what is wrong with it.

BTW,my local reputable shop charges $1800 to rebuild a APE series Bosch IP pump,and probably about $120 ea for the injectors,so you are looking at about $2500 for a complete fuel system rebuild if it needs it.

It may just need a good cleaning and adjusting(seals,bearings) which will be considerably cheaper,I would stil recommend taking the injectors in with the IP.

The Mack engine is not cheap to work on,but it rarely needs it.And it is capable of making brutal power with the proper work.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe I have air in the lines, do to that I cant get Diesel up to the Injection Pump. I replace the fuel filters to rule them out. The manual pump on side of the IP feels that there is no suction being conducted while pumping. While pumping there is no pressure or resistance in the pump and the handle to the pump drops down to the bottom position. When pulled up it drops right back down. There is no leaking at the pump or injectors. My current cure, is to buy and inline electric pump that I can use to prime the IP. My five ton does not have an in tank fuel pump and looks like it never has. Also one last question, the filter after the IP before the injectors does any one know the Napa code.

AMGeneral

If you are talking about the filter canister just above the injection pump it is a NAPA Gold 3090.

The one on the frame rail inside the drivers side front fender is either a Napa Gold 3080 or the same as a deuce primary filter,depending on which canister it has.

None of the Mack powered 5 tons had an intank electric pump,just the mechanical pump on the side on the injection pump.

You can use a small amount of air pressure on the fuel tank(NOT OVER 5 PSI!!!) to help prime the injection pump,just loosen the line coming off the top of the filter in the engine compartment till you get clean fuel with no bubbles.

It sounds as if your priming pump has dried out to the point it will no longer pump fuel,it will probably have to be re sealed.

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what i know up to this point, I am pretty sure that the fuel system is sucking air into it by the manual fuel pump. After finding the correct TM thanks to AMG, does any one just sell the manual pump?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks