• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injection Pump Timing via STE-ICE? Is it possible? Trying to tune for HIGH ELEVATION

MuddWeiser

What kinds of tests can I run with the STE-ICE computer analyzer kit?

I love my CUCV to death (M1009). It is my ONLY vehicle and I have been using it as a daily driver for 2+ years. Its not the most comfortable vehicle and I can afford a new car - but I just love this truck.

I live in the mountains at an elevation of 6,500ft and NASTY winters. The truck never lets me down. HOWEVER --- I believe these trucks were tuned at or around SEA LEVEL . My truck runs extremely sluggish and has always felt like it is "lacking" power. I am wondering if I could use the STE-ICE engine analyzier in a "tune-up" scenario to maybe adjust things for the elevation???

SYMPTOMS:

* Engine doesn't sound consistent... Should sound like a "ratchet" turning consistant -- mine sounds like a jar of marbles getting shaken irraticly.

* Idle fluctuates high/low, even when truck is warm

* Accellerates very slow (although I never lead foot it)

* BLOWS BLACK SMOKE WHEN GOING UP HILLS (read under a load)

I am thinking I might just need to turn my Injection Pump to adjust my timing suited better for the elevation? But timing is sort of hard on a Diesel as you can't use a timing light and those fancy diesel injection timers cost upwards of $10k!!!!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sounds like your truck is starving for air. The next time you head to modesto run down 99 and accelerate hard. I'd bet your getting alot less smoke down there. You can open the air cleaners hole to help more air get in at higher elevation. But you'll probally need to shorten or replace the exaust with a larger diameter. Like 2.5 inch pipe.
The erratic idleing and fluctation it probally comming from a bad/sticking injector. Try running some lucas injector cleaner throught it. Double the recommended dosage for the first tank. It has worked well for me with bad/dribbling injectors.

3dubs

Be sure to use something like Lucas in the fuel to clean carbon build up in addition to a lubricant to compensate for the lower sulfer content in diesel. In the high altitude I would use a turbo to get more are in. More fuel needs more air. At altitude you have less air to compress in addition to less oxygen. It is all about the air. But the big thing is a turbo at altitude. You can use the 6.5 turbo manifold or the Banks turbo kit. Either way you do not need much boost to see difference.

MuddWeiser

It sounds like your truck is starving for air. The next time you head to modesto run down 99 and accelerate hard. I'd bet your getting alot less smoke down there. You can open the air cleaners hole to help more air get in at higher elevation. But you'll probally need to shorten or replace the exaust with a larger diameter. Like 2.5 inch pipe.
The erratic idleing and fluctation it probally comming from a bad/sticking injector. Try running some lucas injector cleaner throught it. Double the recommended dosage for the first tank. It has worked well for me with bad/dribbling injectors.

Funny you should mention this, I will actually be taking a drip out west on Sunday. I am headed to Santa Rosa down the 101... I have been to the bay area a few times (closer to sea level) and the truck seems to run much smoother their and feels like it has more power.

Just wondering if there is an easy (read: not install a turbo) way to achieve similar sea level results.

Maybe turn the fuel down / restrict fuel at the IP? Since air is thinner here at higher elevation, reducing the fuel that gets pumped to the cylinders would "lean" out the mixture? But I am not sure if the diesel engine physics work that way? Probably require a certain amount of fuel/air to achieve power AND NOT just the proper RATIO.

?

MuddWeiser

Be sure to use something like Lucas in the fuel to clean carbon build up in addition to a lubricant to compensate for the lower sulfer content in diesel. In the high altitude I would use a turbo to get more are in. More fuel needs more air. At altitude you have less air to compress in addition to less oxygen. It is all about the air. But the big thing is a turbo at altitude. You can use the 6.5 turbo manifold or the Banks turbo kit. Either way you do not need much boost to see difference.

ALSO FUNNY you mention this - as I did buy the 1qt of Lucas Fuel System "lubricant" that is supposed to clean injectors and what not. I clearly read on the bottle that "overdose is not harmful" so I decided to just dump the whole qt into my almost empty gas tank, and then filled with 5 gallons of diesel. Bottle says it treats 100 gallons, so I WAY overdosed.

BUT that did seem to improve the throttle response; however not sure if it was "psychological" effect or if it really improved as I have no way of actually "testing".

I DO GET A TON OF FUEL POURING OUT MY EXHAUST WHEN I TRAVEL UP HILLS.

I am very much now interested in a turbo. But have heard it is generally NOT a good idea to "hot rod" vehicles with over 30k-40k miles as the motor has been quasi-broken in and a sudden increase in power MAY actually tear things up?

Would this be true on a 6.2 Diesel with 120k miles???

3dubs

The Lucas is not a fuel. You need the engine to be running for it to work.:-D

If you add a turbo do not go crazy. A mild turbo boost it would be like being at sea level. I would not hot rod it without rebuiding the engine.

wkbrdngsnw

A key thing to have in hilly terrain is a pyrometer. Its easy to get egt's of over 1100 with a N/A 6.2 going up hill, especially if altitude is involved. At 11,000 feet they smoke like a chimney. Timing doesn't help as much as you think it should, only like 30 degrees lower when its advanced. A Turbo would help tremendously since they "bring their own air with them."

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks