• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector Fouling cure

dstang97

So if I'm reading your post correctly, bad injectors spray a crappy spray pattern like a stream instead of a mist and burn out the tips of glow plugs?

sandcobra164

It could be but it's just so intermittent. I mean, it does it for perhaps 5-10 seconds at a time, it sometimes goes a few hundred miles between "episodes", sometimes it'll act up back to back, hot or cold, etc. It's got 3 other swollen glowplugs that I didn't try to force as I'll wait for the newfangled tool to hopefully prevent breaking their tips off. I didn't try to force the broken tip one either, it came right out, albeit a little shorter than it should have been. What's left of that one is a probe that is broken off in a sort of jagged manner but with no sharp edges and hollow about 1/4" into what's left. The new injector for #3 went in with no resistance. I've read around that the tip "should not" fall out of the prechamber. That's why I feel it could get lodged in front of the injector and cause a miss, intermittently. If I don't find the tip in #3, I'll take the injectors out and to the local diesel shop and have all 8 gone through. I'll give praise to the all mighty CUCV experts if I'm wrong. Either way, I'll give you a beer or 12 for all your advice next time I see ya, hopefully SSGR 12' or sooner if paths should cross.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if I'm reading your post correctly, bad injectors spray a crappy spray pattern like a stream instead of a mist and burn out the tips of glow plugs?
Yes

sandcobra164

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5Mfj0vVaCc&feature=related[/media]
Mine sounds about like this truck when it's acting up. Would that sound be injector related by chance or am I looking at pulling a head and doing some more serious work? It's very intermittent, the more I run it, the less it seems to happen.

sandcobra164

Okay, finally got the last swollen glow plug out tonight. Cylinder 2 had the swollen plug (OTC help), cylinder 3 had the short plug (tip appears gone), cylinder 4 had a slightly eroded plug tip that was swollen (OTC help) and cylinder 5 had a severely eroded tip (OTC help). I tried to get good pics but imagine looking at a sponge for cylinder 4 and 5's glow plug tip. I've read ether can cause this on a glow plug motor but it looks like they exploded. I doubt I'll find the tips in the prechambers as they appear they exploded and sent fragments of the tips hopefully out the exhaust. Amongst the others, two glow plugs still ohwned out fine, the other two didn't. Can injector problems really cause this? May be time to bite the bullet and spring for a set. In good news, the truck starts in cold weather like a charm with the new glow plugs.

Attachments

Last edited:

Abbylind

Check to make sure your getting 12 volts to your GP relay. Sounds like your ballast resistors shorted and your getting 24 volts. Mine did that and blew up the GPs (2X) until I figured out what was happening. aua

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, a bad injector can cause the GP tips to burn off. And since you have an intermittent miss/tick, it seems very logical.

Hopefully someone else will confirm my thoughts.

Love the last pic, with elbow on the bumper!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YES! a bad injector can cause this. When it squirts a stream, instead of a spray. Fuel will "puddle" in the prechamber instead if entering the cylinder. When it ignites you have a small fire on the glow plug tip. After time you will distort and melt the glow plug tips. I know you have heard this before. But change the injectors. I would think if your truck sat that long in storage the injectors probally rusted from a small amout of water in the fuel. Letting the needle stick. Then the fuel pressure wont build up enough and fuel eather dribbles out or squirts out.

allenhillview

Yes, a bad injector can cause the GP tips to burn off. And since you have an intermittent miss/tick, it seems very logical.

Hopefully someone else will confirm my thoughts.

Love the last pic, with elbow on the bumper!
Maybe the wrong Thread but I'm going to ask here. What are the best injector tips, the whole injector (tip and all), who makes it, where to get it? And last but not least, do I do all eight at once? Once again no problems now but I'm a preventer if money allows. Sometimes more(money) than others, cattle prices change daily.

sandcobra164

Found a crutch. We have an old GM Diesel guy at the base. He said it's quite a common problem to have a pintle stick open on occasion and cause the dribble. His cure, pour 2 gallons of PE 10 Preservative Oil into an almost full tank of fuel. You could easily hear the change when the motor started using the mix about 10 miles down the road. It's smoother, quieter and stronger. Mr. Marvin said that the ULSD is terrible for these old school diesels and they will not tolerate it without doing alot of what mine is doing. He recommended a quart of clean fresh oil in the tank each fill up since it doesn't have any kind of catalytic converter that can become fouled up from burning oil. On his recommendation, we put the oil in and have not had the issue since. It's running better than ever and can spin well into 2nd on dirt acceleration wise. She was sluggish before this!!!!

dstang97

A lot of guys are running walmart 2stroke oil for boats. IP pump love that stuff. And you could also Run Home heating oil, "of coarse only off road" Or keep records and pay the tax at the end of the Year:D