• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector Lines

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the IP has got to come off and go to the shop..... it leaks everywhere.
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the injector lines loose at the IP head?
So far I have destroyed two wrenches (yes appropriate line wrenches) and have only two of the line nuts off.
They are currently soaking in kroil, but they are not dirty, rusty or such. All the weather caps were still in place. They are just .......tight.......

I am open to suggestions.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I faced the same issue with mine. I ended up removing all the lines from the injectors first. As I recall, I was able to get 3-6 lines off first and out of the way. That offered up enough room at the hyd. head to use my nice vice grip wrench on the offending nut. Kroil might help, but the lines/threads are designed to seal off the thread area. You might actually try tightening the nut slightly to "break loose" the rust.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you clamp a set of visegrips over the flare nut wrench? I have done this on other similar situations with success. Not sure if there is room for this though.

Is the IP junk? Can you apply direct heat?

davey8943

If it helps,

I had a lot of good luck with flare nut crow's feet wrenches (craftsman brand). I was able to put a breaker bar on about 12 inches of extension on it.

I really thought I was going to break something, but it finally let go and loosened up.

I think the biggest help was being able to apply the torque where there was plenty of clearance for the breaker bar.

Good Luck!

Dave

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have an old open ended wrench that is much more stout than any flare nut wrenches or other open ended wrenches that never fails me. I can send it down if you like. PM an addy.

AMGeneral

Mark,

I have had a few of those here,I did as patracy said, removed the line from the injector,then slipped the box end of a combination wrench over the line down to the IP end of the injector line.

This usually works,and you can always double wrench it this way if needed.
Hopefully your 5 ton has the later style fenders and not the early gasser fenders,either way,it's a lot easier with the power steering tank out of the way.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well thanks for all the suggestions guys. I am hoping to avoid cutting the lines and going to a socket......
And yes.....it still has the gasser fenders that are bears to remove and that darned tank is VERY in the way.
Gimp, I also have one of the old open ends, I will give that another shot...

Wish me luck, 2 done 4 to go.....

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's leaking? HH or lower?

gimpyrobb

If you can turn the wrench with all your might and it doesn't "open up" to round off the corners, tap it with a hammer 3-4 times(tap, not slam) it should free up just fine.

Capt.Marion

If you want a more "vertically-enabled" helper, let me know. I'm in town until Saturday and would enjoy having something to wrench on.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DH, it leaks ever where, HH, body connections, control shafts. This has been coming on for a while and has just reached the point where it drips even when the truck is not running. I get fuel, oil, mix, you name it, it leaks it. Unfortunate part is that the truck rung great. She will go right to the governor in top gear even with a load and 24,000 in tow.
Gimp, I went back to the OLD heavy wall open end and with a cheater extension and a hammer to tap (hard taps) finally got all them loose, but I destroyed two of the injector lines. They twisted with the nuts.
At any rate, the pump is off and headed to the shop on Tuesday for some long over due TLC.

Anyone have a good source for some replacement injector lines?

I think she deserves a new set.

I appreciate the suggestions, I am now convinced a sadist was involved in the installation of the IP on the LDS.......

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any idea what the rebuild may cost?

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Gimp, I have located some lines, (I think...)
DH, I will know for certain by end of next week and will let you know.

Ya'll have a great Thanksgiving.

area52

Post up or PM the name/address of the shop you are sending the IP to.

I have one that needs a rebuild and was searching around for a place to perform it.

does this shop have experience in the LDS IP rebuilds?

did they give you an estimate?

thanks

gimpyrobb

Post up or PM the name/address of the shop you are sending the IP to.

I have one that needs a rebuild and was searching around for a place to perform it.

does this shop have experience in the LDS IP rebuilds?

did they give you an estimate?

thanks
Sounds like it is leaking and getting new seals, not getting rebuilt. Two different things.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New seals are all mine needs. But, this shop is very familiar with the LDT/LDS pumps and still have the flow benchs to do full overhauls.
Once I get the costing I will provide the contact info and pricing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks