• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector problem.... maybe

partime

In the beginning I replaced the starter and relay....after that,the truck ran real well. Then began to act up at starting..had to cycle the glow plugs at least twice..So I thought the plugs were fried,ordered wellmans and put them in ,but no luck the old plugs look ok ..

Now the Blazer won't start..Went to the TM,s and made sure fuel was getting to the filter [quart in 15 seconds] Loosened a fuel line and saw some spray .....Still no start Any thoughts Thanks

T_F_E

Make sure you have power to the thicker pink wire on the injection pump. If you see spray your pump should be ok. Actually if you see spray everthing should check out, make sure your solenoid is good, it can still click but not have power flowing through it.

Last edited:

AndrewH

Things that might help

There are only three things that are needed to make a diesel run;. (1) Heat from compression, (2) Fuel at the Right time and pressure. (3) Sufficient crank shaft speed to provide the compression

You say you know your getting fuel, for now we will hope that the timing hasn't changed and is correct.

Are the batteries good and charged and the starter in good condition, so it will crank fast enough to start? Look for loose connections. Make sure your battery connections are clean and tight.

Do you have a multimeter to check and see if the glow plugs are actually working?

Just a few things the check.

Hope this helps AndrewH

AndrewH

Also, just check and be sure the air filter is reasonably clean. They like their air. Especially if it starts to get oil on it, it will become a restriction. Without air there is no heat in there!

partime

Andrew.Thanks I have been using my batteries alot but they still turn over pretty fast...
How else can I check fuel delivery to injectors?

AndrewH

Do you hear the solenoid for the glow plugs working? If you hear it, do you see a noticeable drop in battery voltage? I think the glowplugs should draw 60+ amps if they are all working. You will see the glowplugs and controller working as every time they come on, your voltage will droop. If the controller is working they will cycle on and off for a while right afte startup.

AndrewH

You said you loosened an injection line and saw fuel. Thats about all you can do without an injection tester. "pop" tester for the injectors. It checks opening pressure and spray pattern. A flow bench for the pump. Not the sort of thing someone would just happen to have laying around.

AndrewH

It is certantly possible that the IP has worn and is not up to par. I was hoping to find a less invasive problem and not have to lead you to bad news. :-?. You would have to find some diesel shop or the applicable manual to test the injection pump tolerances. My web-fu is not powerful enough to post a link to the TM here but there are a lot of manuals in the resources section and one of them might tell you how to test the pump.

partime

Got it started today with A little starter fluid..And now startes every time........Could it be the IP Even if it runs good now.....I will let it cool down to see if it is fixed for good:???:

AndrewH

Look for fuel leaks when you shut it off. If it leaks fuel on the inlet side of the fuel lift pump it could be sucking in air while running. It would leak out fuel while sitting and be hard to start.

partime

Just tried to start it and no luck checked the glow plugs and had no volts........would 60 degrees be too hot for the plugs to come on.........Or bad GP Relayaua