• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector pump - ID (on side of highway at moment)

I_Publius

I am on the side of the highway at the moment, and need to identify the injector pump on this 6.2 L engine.

I just ran her for the longest trip I have taken in her so far, about 45 minutes from the house, pulled over, turned her off, and immediately tried to restart and she would not restart.

After reading some threads, I am wondering if it is the injector pump that is having issues? I just sent someone for some water and am going to try pouring it over the injector home to see if that cools it enough to restart it.

My question is, is this the injector pump?ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384198327.738876.jpg

Barrman

Did you get going again?

Yes that is the IP. It is a Stanadyne DB-2 There is a metal tag on the side that has a bunch of numbers after it. I think there are 44 or so combinations of what exact model you could have. Several threads have been written about the numbers. It all boils down to you want a DB-2 for a 6.2 though. Recently rebuilt is best because they do not have a long shelf life.

I_Publius

I was on my way out to scout some duck hunting areas and met up with a coworker of mine. I left the truck parked and am riding with him now. Hopefully it will start back up here in another couple of hours with no problem, as it has in the past.

Thanks for the information about the tag. I will check it out and look for another one, when I get back to the house tonight.

I appreciate the help.

I_Publius

It's running again.

After sitting for 1 1/2 hrs, i came back, had to jump it, but is running again. Almost wonder if its the alt?

I have the Roscommon conversion with two batteries and one alt.

Skinny

You have a lot more reading to do if you are trying to ID the pump, cool the engine down with water, and thinking it's a 12v problem. We will need lots more info to troubleshoot.

I_Publius

Yep....need to figure out what info to give. ;(

I made it home. No problems. Ran it wide open for 1 hour. Ran fine, for an old truck. Turned it off, tried restarting, and it starts right up. Waited 10 mins. Started right up.

Skinny

Do you have any visible fuel leaks? You may also want to spend some time replacing all fuel hoses and making sure your filter is not bleeding air into the system.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
See I told you there would be some bugs to work out.... ;-)

After we sorted out the hacked up electrical, did you get the fuel filter changed out?

I_Publius

That is a good lead. I'll start looking for leaks. I did have a leak that I just repaired over the weekend. I replaced the fuel pump. Other than that, I'm not seeing any fuel leaks in the driveway.

Air in the line somewhere? I'll start reading about how to purge that.

Thanks!

I_Publius

Yeah....fun...fun...fun.... ;)

Yes, I have that spin on Rayco filter and I replaced that at the beginning, before I got it up and running. A buddy of mine suggested that I may want to change out the filter again, now that I have driven it a bit. I may do that.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What where the symtoms when it wouldn't start? Would it cranks? White smoke out the tailpipe?

Have you taken a reading on the battery voltage when it is running and off? I've slept to many times since I was down there working on it to remember.

I_Publius

It would crank, act like it was not getting fuel, run down my battery(-ies), and then I would get a jump and it would start.

I need to verify that the batteries are good (I bought them new in August from IB).
Make sure the alt is working properly. - Question about the alt. With a 12v set up, do I need both batteries? Is that alt large enough to charge both?
Check for air in the line somewhere??
Change the fuel filter, again...

Is there a way to test the IP on it to see if it's going bad? I really don't want to spend $700 - $1500 on a IP for that engine.....

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The alternator may need a rebuild. It is big enough for two batteries.

The diesel engine really does need two batteries to crank. The compression is high enough to require them.

How fast was cranking when it wouldn't start?

Really no way to check the pump with removing it and having it bench tested.

I_Publius

The cranking would start off fast and then start slowing quite a bit after two or three times of attempting to start it. I'll pull the alt, bring it over to the blue and yellow auto store and see if they can test it for me. At least that would prove it out one way or another.

Pulling the IP...?? Hmmmm...I'll look into doing that. It sounds labor and time intensive, maybe even a bit technical. uggg..