• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector Pump Install for an Idiot?

steve87

So my IP took a dump the other day. I received a new one from KR Services off of ebay (here) after researching where to get one from here on SS. I have searched all over this website and couldnt find what i was looking for. I am quite good at it since i have had many issues with my blazer. I have been reading the manuals for the 6.2l and still have some questions. I would like to install the pump myself instead of taking it too a shop. I don't want to spend more money to have them install it and plus there is quite a wait. I would to have this blazer back to running asap. So my question are:

I know I have to remove the manifold, what else do i have to remove to remove and install the new IP?

How hard is it to set the timing? Do I need any special tools to complete the swap?

Also, does anyone know of any other resources than the manual here on the site that would help explain the swap?

Any pictures and hints would be very appreciated. Thanks.

K9Vic

You only need to remove the oil fill cover to remove the bolts on the IP, just turn the engine with a 15/16 socket and breaker bar. Just make sure you do not drop the bolt down, or you will be having a much longer repair. Only special too you need is a 5/8 crows foot to make it easier to remove and tighten the bottom lines, just makes it simple to get in that tight spot. Also label the lines as my picture so you know what goes where just in case. They should only fit to the right output on the IP, but best to be safe. Tie warp any grounds you remove and take pictures so you can look to see how it was when you put it back together. Plus cover the intake on the block so you do not accidentally drop anything in the engine.

It is really not that difficult, it was my first time and it was pretty straight forward. I only had one issue after I installed my IP, one of the lines was not tight enough and was leaking. Fixed that and now it is all perfect and my M1010 runs great, oh and I also installed injectors. For that you really should get the special injector socket so you do not break the return tips.

Attachments

Milbikes

I replaced a pump on my 6.5 (Way more stuff in the way). I bagged and labeled every nut, bolt etc that I removed. I tagged or markered locations of ground straps. For the manifold bolts of different lengths, I had a cardboard box with holes punched in it to place the bolts in order as I took them off the manifold to keep them in order. I vacuumed all around the valley under the manifold. I stuffed the intake ports with clean rags. I took pictures as I went along. All this sounds like extra work, but ensures hardware goes back where it should, and that none is missing (Like possibly down inside the engine?)

I took the tailgate from my landscape trailer and set it on jack stands as a work platform to stand on in front of the truck (The truck is tall!).

I marked the injector pump and the engine with a punch mark to later align the new pump. I measured the old pump punch mark to a casting line on the pump with calipers, and marked the new pump accordingly, so it would line up where the old pump was.

Truck started right up! I took it to a Chevy dealer after asking their diesel mechanic enough questions to be sure he knew what he was doing. They adjusted/timed the pump. I asked for a printout of before and after readings, and it was pretty close. But, that assumes that the previous pump replacement was timed correctly. H.

steve87

Are there oring or some kind of seals for the connections between the injection lines and where they connect to the pump. what about for the throttle shaft in the middle. If so, is it a specific seal kit or could i just get some orings that fit.

ranchhopper

No seals injector lines are compression fit just get them back on straight and if you cant turn them back onto the pump by hand be careful you might be cross threading them.

steve87

Also, is there any special way to start the truck after i get it installed. Do i just crank it until it starts or do i need to bleed each line?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The tech manual does have a step by step procedure for installing the pump and all the other steps. Have you looked at it?

Chapter 3-37 of the TM 9-2320-289-34

You will need to bleed the injector lines.

Last edited:

b4thundr

Get Fel-Pro gaskets from NAPA it will have a new injector pump seal also. leave the lines loose on the nozzles, hold your foot on the floor (gas pedal) and crank till fuel runs outta the lines, three times for about 25 seconds each, wait for the starter to cool down between each time. ALSO!!!! Crows foot!!!! you need one!!! lol well you don't need one but its makes life way nicer. there are some pics here......http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/41774-m-1031-farm-contact-service-truck-6.html

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks