• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector Pump making oil

Westex

On top of some of the other problems I've had, I bypassed the FDC and am still making oil. Have to assume it's the injector pump. Any comments greatly appreciated, 'cause I'm about to have the IP pulled and rebuilt.

Earth

If the FDC is bypassed, it could be leaking at the 2 o rings on the HH, or at the gear pump. You can replace the o rings easy enough, but I don't think you can do anything with the pump unless you pull the whole ip. The steering column is in the way. There is also the chance another source is responsible (flame heater?)

Earth

significance is that there are a limited number of places where oil and fuel can mix. The FDC seems to be the "normal" culprit. If your fuel density compensator is out of the loop, you'll have to keep looking. Some have had to replace the o rings on the HH. It could be the o ring on the shaft of the gear pump. After these, you can assume your IP is good and look elsewhere. Bypassing the flame heater should be straight up, and you won't need it in TX. Or not much.

I'm not thinking of any other places where fuel and oil can mix?

1qwkgoat

Not to get the tread off topic. But you guys that replaced the O ring's on the HH head. Where did you get them? I need to replace mine

Westex

Not to get the tread off topic. But you guys that replaced the O ring's on the HH head. Where did you get them? I need to replace mine
This is not off topic because those are exactly what I'm after now---the O rings in the hydraulic head. Anybody have any dimensions at least? Further, do you have to pull the injector pump to replace said O rings? Can't you just unbolt the nuts on the head and it come off that way?

Earth

No, you don't have to pull the pump. You have to take off all the injector lines, and the fuel lines at the "tee", which is your pressure releif valve, and then line up the timing marks, and the HH will pull off. There are some good posts concerning this process. Here are two I have bookmarked:
Injection Pump Removal - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

deuce LDT Injection Pump Rebuild - Page 2 - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite

Read the tms as well. I would just add that you can get pretty close alignment of the marked gear in the IP by lining up the marked groove on the dampening bell with the timing pointer on the block under the fan belts. When they are lined up the red tooth in the IP is just to the right of where it needs to be. This saves time wondering when the stupid red tooth is going to come around the bend. I think you can get the o rings from Saturn. Have fun.

scooter01922

Westex and any other looking for O rings for your Hyd head. I am replacing mine and happened to get them in 100 packs as the only quickly available supply. Soooo, looks like i have a bunch. Bottleworks had them, might still have in viton at 5 bucks shipped. These are the same specs but in Buna N, i'll do the same price deal, 5 bucks and a pair show up in your mailbox.:-D

RangerDave

I had this same problem too and the solution was right here after searching and searching and searching..... needless to say, this one problem hooked me into Steel Soldiers!!!

What I found was that there is a small (dime sized) "O" ring located under a plate screwed into place on the HH (if memory serves me - I think you needed to remove this in order to remove the HH and inspect those "O" rings) and those screws are wired so that they don't back out. Well one of those screws backed out and blew a path through the side of the little "O" ring. I could of stopped here because the damage was obvious, but since I had it this far, I replaced the two "O" rings on the HH anyway. No problems since and it's been about 3-4 years. I thought I took a picture of it, but I can't find it now....

rizzo

I had this same problem too and the solution was right here after searching and searching and searching..... needless to say, this one problem hooked me into Steel Soldiers!!!

What I found was that there is a small (dime sized) "O" ring located under a plate screwed into place on the HH (if memory serves me - I think you needed to remove this in order to remove the HH and inspect those "O" rings) and those screws are wired so that they don't back out. Well one of those screws backed out and blew a path through the side of the little "O" ring. I could of stopped here because the damage was obvious, but since I had it this far, I replaced the two "O" rings on the HH anyway. No problems since and it's been about 3-4 years. I thought I took a picture of it, but I can't find it now....
does anyone know the size of this o ring?

CAn I troubleshoot my leak by running the lift pump in the tank and taking the fuel shutoff cover off to see what is leaking?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Let me go see if I can find out what size they are.

Well, the IP I found was missing the rod that goes there, so the opening was .433 and the emboss(is that the right term) is .585. The grove is .035 deep.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks