• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector pump question

jterry211

Hello all quick question.

My injector pump throttle shaft started leaking so I took out the intake and took off the top of the pump.

When I took off the top the fuel level was way below the throttle shaft like almost empty.

Is that normal?

I filled it up with fuel and didn't see any other leaks. And yes the shaft seals were toast. Ordered rebuild kit just wondering about that fuel level. Also it was running fine minus the leak.

Thanks,
Jason

cucvrus

I would say it is normal if the shaft is leaking. It is getting air and can drop the fuel. I can not see any picture you posted. Don't know about tap talk . But yes if it is leaking at the throttle shaft seals that you have then it will drop fuel back. If it ran fine why are you fixing it? It surely had to start hard if it was dropping fuel. Good Luck. I did not know there was a kit. I just replaced the 2 O rings when I serviced throttle shaft seals in the past. Now I just have the pump rebuilt because my experience was that the pump was the next thing to go and not far behind the time I replaced the throttle shaft seals.

jterry211

Thanks for the reply. Makes sense to me. It was a little hard starting and just started leaking really bad. Noticed it when changing the oil just wanted to stay ahead of it. The kit number is standyne 24370 complete pump kit.

cucvrus

The throttle shaft seals I used to get for a beer from a guy at a rebuild shop. I had a wire tag with about 30 of them. I have not changed throttle shaft seals in 15 years. I just change the pumps now. At $275. it is the fix and makes a world of difference all around. Do as you wish. It will get you by for now. I remember the seals were a pale green and easy to change. But the last 2 pumps I tried to remove the top cover from I snapped the steel screws off in the pump. Not good. I think you are past that point. But you can still use the pumps with the screws snapped as a core which is good. Good luck have a great day.

cucvrus

I use Diesel Care in Memphis Tennessee. I put on hundreds of pumps and the last 10 or so came from them. I never had a problems with any of the pumps I installed. Just check out there offer on ebay. They send you a UPS pick up ticket and you send them back your pump and it will be the same pump you get back. Unless it is not rebuild-able. They they will charge you more. I never had that happen and I sent back some questionable cores. Some had all 3 cover screws broken off and the rear Allen split. It came back clean and ready to install. I hope that helps. I know someone will bad mouth them but that is my overall experience. Over the tears the local pump shops went from $250. pumps tp $600. pumps. I did find a local guy that does them for $450. But I try and save cash when ever I can. Keeps the cash for more expensive needed things like tire and heavy PM.

AECS

I live 10 miles from DCP in Memphis. I wish I would have asked about them here. I did my pump 2 months ago. DCP does NOT have a good reputation here at all. So I went with another local rebuilder recommended by a friend that is a JB Hunt mechanic. My pump is great! But I could have had almost 3 done at DCP for the 750 it cost me...

tbearatkin

AECS, I had my IP rebuilt at DCP in 7267 Hwy 51 Millington, I had them do all the work No issues with it at all that was 4-13-2012.
Injector Pump 1 yr warranty- $325
Gasket and installation kit-$27.95
Vacuum Regulator-$100
Labor- $80 hr 6.25hr=$500
Government cut of the pie- $78.90
Total 1031.85

cucvrus

AECS, I had my IP rebuilt at DCP in 7267 Hwy 51 Millington, I had them do all the work No issues with it at all that was 4-13-2012.
Injector Pump 1 yr warranty- $325
Gasket and installation kit-$27.95
Vacuum Regulator-$100
Labor- $80 hr 6.25hr=$500
Government cut of the pie- $78.90
Total 1031.85
It does pay to do some things yourself. We have a company CUCV M1008 plow truck at a Chevrolet dealer 10 years ago during a major blizzard the injection pump died and while there I had them do some other work. They used all GM parts and I supplied the re-built pump which they allowed. While there I had them service it and change the flex-plate. The total bill was close to $2800.. They did a great job and I never complained a bit. They put a new front pump seal in the transmission, Split the transmission/transfer case at both ends and resealed the transfer case and put a rear main seal in the engine. They called and ask me each time they found something and I kept telling them to fix it. At the time I was running 24/7 and had no time to do the repairs myself. I/company paid the bill and we still have the same truck and it never needed any of the repairs they completed again. I do think it is in need of a flex-plate again. It gives the awful starter grind occasionally. I had a starter bolt break off a few years back. But one grind a month. No worries. I have the plow mounted as of today and it will stay mounted the duration of the winter. At $80. an hour labor adds up quickly. Sometimes money is your best tool. it may sting initially but if you pay the right people paying the bill is a load and a better way and use of your money then doing something half a$$ed to save a few dollars. Reliability is one of the most things about transportation. Next to safety. Beats walking, constant break downs, and no starts. Have a great day.

AECS

I used another Diesel place in Memphis, and the pump alone was 800 just for the rebuild. I did the R and R.... I wish I had asked here....

jterry211

I only paid $800 for my M1009 lol. I replaced the throttle seals, intake gaskets, vacuum pump seal and did a bunch of cleaning. Runs like a champ and no leaks. When it comes that time I will replace it but for now it's all good.

cucvrus

I think the $275. price is an internet special. But they seem to work fine I have installed no less than 10. Some over 7 years ago. I have them on 4 of my own CUCV's and had one on my 7.3 Ford. Great to have a spare core and keep cycling them in and out for re-build.

Skinny

I did one a few years back from a local Stanadyne certified dealer, it was competitive at $450-500.

I bought the seal kit and was thinking of doing mine but after 30 years of service and being that it is the heart of the fuel system, I decided to bite the bullet and just installed a reman'd unit.

cucvrus

I took one injection pump apart one time. Very complex and sensitive item. I just took one apart and looked at it. Threw it all in a box and mailed it to Diesel Care. $275. from my door and back. That was easy. And warranted. Money is the easiest tool I found to do unknowledgable/questionable repairs. I let surgery up to Dr's even thou I can go on line and read how it's done I want the results without the effort and most times failure factor. IMHO it has worked well with me. Brush in lining my experience. Failure. Line X A+. Rebuilding transmissions with a TM. Failure. Transmission shop A+. Certain jobs it just pays in the long run to let experienced reputable people handle. IMHO. Do as you wish and more [power to you to do it yourself. Or try anyway. Good Luck.

acesneights1

I use accurate diesel. Tim is fair and his reputation good. Expect to pay around 3-350$ for a 2829 reman. Anything less, corners are being cut or cheap parts being used. There are alot of crappy builders out there and doing a job twice sucks. I got screwed on a pump from Metro inj. I was pissed. It drove me nuts till I figured out the morons didn't tighten the face cam. Mine cost me 650$ but that was for a 2831-4911. The head and rotor is big bucks on those .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks