• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector pump rebuilt update

Somemedic

as I understand the guys who work on our ambulances are decent mehcanics. Hobart Truck got my bid for the Blazer so I took it over to them yesterday. I told the fella that I hadnt driven the truck in a couple of weeks (2) and it took a bit to get her to start. Hes checked the wellmans and said they all check out ok. The batts are probably 3 yrs old walmart /zone cheapeys so I recon new ones are indeed in order. I also have a set of wellmans coming just incase. I called my friend Derrick who happens to have a milling/welding/press outfit in one of his bedrooms ( not gonna gete the deposit back) and asked him to port and polish my air intake. No problem says he, no charge (we feed him dinner alot).
The guys at MDI in Crown Point however seem to be another matter. $450 to rebuild the pump. When I asked the Hobart guys to have MDI turn the pump up a bit it cost an extra 100. I think Im going to give MDI a call and go thru the steps of how one justifies an extra 100 dollars american for turning a scew a quarter turn. 550 seems a bit tall plus 700-800 for labor, eh?

CCATLETT1984

I wanna know how they justify that much for turning up the pump.

If you dont have a turbo 1/4 turn is too much. start with a 1/8 turn above stock.
also either way you should have a EGT (pyrometer) gauage installed before messing with the fuel setting.

maritimer

ok great.
i will get a EGT gauge when i get the new brake master master tomorrow. out of curiosity which pipe do i put it in the left bank or right?
my truck has true duels for some reason LOL

CCATLETT1984

RE: Re: RE: Injector pump rebuilt update

doesnt matter what side, both will be the same. put it as close to the cast manifold as you can, and be sure to center the tip of the thermocouple in the pipe.

chuck500cc

Port job on intake? :cookoo:

No disrespect, but the power/milage gains are small. If you are not going to gut the motor, add a turbo, ect. ect. I don't know about the beef up on it. You might be better off spending your hard earned $$ on axes and suspension unless there is somthing major wrong in the motor. IE: dead cylinder, knok, dead lifters/cam. :grd:

Let me know what you 1/4 mile times are. :lol:

Chuck XD Fan

army_greywolf

1/4 turn on a stanadyne pump is fine, actually on 6.5 rebuilds the motor is detuned back to 6.2 hp of 150...

however the 6.2 can tolerate a 1/4 turn without an issue, I will say this, change your mufflers for something free flowing, itll keep EGTs to an absolute minimum.

the stock motor is about 150HP, a 1/4 turn will result in about a 15-20 hp increase, it will slightly increase soot output, but otherwise, you'll never notice until you need the power.

EGTs aren't as big of an issue on the high speed diesels as they are on a cummins, because all that power is made at a comparitivly higher rpm.

3600max versus 2450max...no contest.

If you do anything, go to autozone and buy 1992 6.5L Turbo injectors. That will increase power without increasing fuel.

Somemedic

Wolf...
tell me more about the 92 6.5 injectors. They match with the 6.2's pump output? Is this speculation or can anyone confirm this? autozone doesnt carry them anymore but Advance does... at $58 apiece for stock injs, $700 for a set of aftermarket.

Chuck, as I understand the turning up the pump provides for more fuel delivery (ie increased pressure). I genericly stated a 1/4 turn. I'm hoping the rebuilder does only a 1/8-1/4 turn and stays within general stock specs. I believe its a given that the DB2s were tuned down for stock J codes to keep emmissions lower. However the porting and polish are being done by a friend of mine who isnt charging me a dime to do so. He likes to do it "just cuz" and while doing it retains a working knowledge on how to do it again for one of our motorcycles, snowmobiles, etc. he told me after looking at the intake that the thing looked pertty ruff (casting burrs and overall build up of crud) and definately would benefit albeit no neck snapping improvements but better and more effecient. It may have increased the air flow by only single cubic digits but improvement = a little more effiencent. At no cost to me I wont stop him. If there is noticable improvement I may start buying used intakes and giving them to him and then up to EBAY. We shall see.

What was explained to me about the $100 charge for turning up the pump was that in doing so the pump has to be then placed onto a machine to measure output. I realize that its steep but in the event I had gotten the pump done from Memphis or somewhere in Iowa it would be a little harder for me to drive up to the shop and rant and rave when something wasnt right. This way I paid a little more to blow my top locally. Might be silly and I hope I dont have to but I now have a plan B if things go south.

CCATLETT1984

with a std. rebuild they should be measuring the output so there shouldnt be any extra charge to up the fuel. I called my local shop yesterday and they dont charge any extra to turn up the pump. Cost is $430 for a rebuilt no matter what you want them to set the fuel screw at.

Somemedic

The pump was reinstalled/replaced for a mere $1280. I wasnt moaning so much about the $650 for +tax/labor but the $608 for the rebuild was harsh. The pump thats on the truck now is the DB2 4267-R. Whats the numbers come out to mean, ie whats the application?