• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector pump Remove and replace. Read TM, but still confused.

Hal O'Peridol

My IP is bad, need to send it off to be rebuilt. So I've been reading the TM, but I am confused on the actual sequence of steps.

So.

1 Remove intake manifold, unbolt pump gear

2 disconnect fuel lines at injectors

3 disconnect lines from pump.

????????

Help please.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Couple of things here. First, your location listed as n/a violates the rules. You are required to at least, list your state. Second is you have 3 statements, a row of question marks and a plea for help. Help with what? You will need to ask a question to get an answer.

AceHigh

When I did mine I just removed the lines from the injectors only, took it off as an "octopus". I think it made switching lines and all easier on the bench. This was of course after removing the intake and the 3 pump bolts. Watch those little bolts- I think they may be able to go down the oil fill.

Hope it goes well for you!

GPrez

I may miss a few minor items that need to be removed, but from what I recall from swapping mine was.

1. Air Cleaner
2. Intake manifold
3. Injector lines. I removed mine completely not just at the injectors. I think it made removing the pump bolts easier. When you reinstall them go from bottom up and tighten them as you go. The lower ones are difficult to tighten at the injector pump once everything is installed. Next time I do one I may try AceHigh's method above though.
4. Remove the 3-bolts behind the oil fill tube. This requires rotating the engine to get to each one. I used a breaker bar with the correct size socket and turned the engine using the crank bolt from underneath.
5. Remove the bolts on the manifold side and remove the pump.

I thought the TM had pretty good directions for replacing the IP. Keep it handy and you'll be fine.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Label your lines. They all look alike after sitting on the bench for a few weeks.

Skinny

I just recently pulled my IP. I had really good luck labeling all my lines with a marker and keeping them paired up with the retaining clips. Then I removed the lines from the injectors and pulled it out with the IP. Swapping the lines from the old to new IP, they lined right up because I kept them paired together. Swapped over no problem as an assembly. I would not want to tighten them up with the IP in the valley of the engine. I did run my engine up without an intake manifold on it to triple check for leaks just incase.

Not a hard job to do my any means, just takes time and patience. I also did valve cover gaskets just for good measure and upgraded my fuel filtration to keep the new IP in good condition.

Hal O'Peridol

Couple of things here. First, your location listed as n/a violates the rules. You are required to at least, list your state. Second is you have 3 statements, a row of question marks and a plea for help. Help with what? You will need to ask a question to get an answer.
Fixed the location.

The other guys seemed to know what I was asking. Thanks.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Copy of Socket with magnet.jpg
I second the caution comment from AceHigh regarding those internal bolts possibly falling down in the engine. When I removed my internal bolts, I used a special socket magnet that held them tight while extracting them out through the oil tube hole.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks