• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector Pump

graham

I just picked a Deuce that has not been ran in about 2-3 years I put 2 new Battery's and it started right up with no problem. My brother tried to start it the other day and now it won't start. I changed the fuel filters they had big chunks of rust in them so i ran air throw the lines to make sure there was no more trash in them. I have plenty of fuel pressure going throw the filters and to the Injector Pump but not to the Injectors. Is there something on the Injector Pump i can take loose and clean. If any one has pictures for what I need to clean it will help. Thanks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many times the Fuel Control Rod will gum up.

Follow the Engine shutoff cable to the side of the injector pump. There are two screws that hold the cover on. Remove them and check to see if the lever inside moves freely. If it does not move freely, further disassembly is required.

They will either get stuck in the off position or they will get stuck in the full throttle position. :shock:

Fuel Rod.jpg

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull the center nut from the hydraulic head (in between the fuel lines) and use a pencil or wooden dowel to check the movement of the plunger. Many times the keeper key will come off or break. Removing the HH is the only way to fix it.

graham

I just pulled the out the plug and pushed the pin down I got fuel out of it so i put it back together and it still won't start. I'm getting fuel from the return lines at the top of the injectors but no fuel is coming out of the injector lines. If you let it sit with the fuel pump running for 2-3 minutes the truck will run for 1-2 seconds them die.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Usually what happens is the truck sits a while. Then you start it up and it runs ok for a bit. Then the retainer that holds the tappet(sp?) falls off. Once it falls off, the plunger gets pushed farther into the hydraulic head than its supposed to go, which results in it sticking up in the head. Once you pull the head out we can see whats going on. You have been warned, cranking the motor with the tappet off can crunch the tappet into un-useable(sp?) condition.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea GimpyRob has a good idea but I think it might be corrosion on the plunger and walls makeing the plunger stick. More than 90% of debris on the fuel filter and the sludge in your fuel tank is organic materal,fuel and oil breakdown residue. In most cases this debris is acidic and not good for your engine. It will causes corrosion in injectors,pumps and storage tanks.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpy since we are just talking I had another thought. What if when we bypass the FDC we reverse the spring in the unit from top to bottom then after the bypass it will be set for a higher BTU fuel. Then we just use the main fuel adjustment and bring up the motor in question to what ever the OP want's to run for boost or fuel adjustment. I had this thought as someone I was working with could not get the droop screw to change the fuel between 1600 and 2000 rpm. If the wedge was in the up pisition then the droop and smoke cam might have more or should I say less effect down low so less smoke but we still have the fuel up at the higher RPM level. Just a thought.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks