• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector rebuild service...?

llong66

I am pretty sure I have an injector going out and a cpl of others I kind of question. When shopping for new ones, I found a service on a popular auction site offering to rebuild your injectors. The name of the company is listed as kr_services. They say they use bosh tips, new, not reman. and they offer a 1 yr warranty on their service. Their price is $245.00 a set. I have an extra set of 6.5l turbo injectors so I would not be down while the do mine. Has anyone gone this route? If so, how was your out come? Is that a company any one has heard of?

Thanks much!
Greg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest you find and use a reputable local diesel IP service company.

scottladdy

I utilized Badger Diesel in Wisconsin based on what other members had reported. A rebuilt IP and injectors on one truck and rebuilt injectors on the other. Almost two years later and the trucks are running great.

I also utilized their return line. No micro clamps to hassle with.

Of course, Your Mileage May Vary.

Westech

CPL
Injectors you can rebuild your self for about 70 bucks for all 8. if you can change a spark plug or replace a glow plug you can rebuild a injector.
It is that EZ!!!!

llong66

Westech, I would be very interested in this. I am sure it is not beyond my ability as I just finished building the engine thats in the truck now. MY first diesel, but I have built many gassers. My question is, where do I find the rtebuild kits? I have done a quick, far from exhaustive search and not turned up anything. I would guess when done, you would want to take them do a local shop and have them "balanced" as a set? I have heard this is always a good idea when you get a new set.

Thanks,
Greg

Westech

CPL
The 6.2 uses a nozzle injector that INSIDE the housing. They can be found at rock auto for $7.04 each.
you take the injector body and it unscrews and the spring, check ball and nozzle come out.
just place in the new nozzle and put the housing back together and poof... done.
I would not waste my time trying to get them balanced. Its just not going to happen in a 6.2 with the nozzle type of injector.
Balancing a 6.2 injector means you rebuild a ton of them until you have a set that is close. There is no way to adjust the nozzle that I know of.

https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,ca...ch_V8_DIESEL_Diesel_Fuel_Injector_Nozzle.html

Last edited:
I went the rockauto route of changing the bosh tips with no problem. There is a way of setting injectors to pop the same with little wafers. I just took each apart ,and put back with same parts. A total of 70 bucks they work fine!

donalloy1

I went the rockauto route of changing the bosh tips with no problem. There is a way of setting injectors to pop the same with little wafers. I just took each apart ,and put back with same parts. A total of 70 bucks they work fine!
Can you share with us part number you used with rockauto. Would like to follow proven path! Shouldn't we replace Springs while there? Thanks in advance

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post #6 has the link to the nozzle injector. Part number and price is included. Just click on the number of nozzles you want.

llong66

I have decided I am going to give rebuilding my injectors a try, I took a spare I had apart today and they are crazy simple inside! One question i do have is, the 96 turbo tips are $15 as apposed to $7 that Westech mentioned, still a heck of a deal. My question though, what is the difference between a turbo vs a NA injector? I know that the IP is what meters out the amount of fuel delivered to the injector, so what is the diff. that would make the price different and it it something that really matters? I will be running my truck NA until spring when I don't freeze doing the swap. Will this be ok, I don't plan on turning up my IP until that time.I have 2 sets of injectors, one from a NA 6.5 military take out motor and one from the 96 civi turbo 6.5l I got to rebuild. Should I plan on using the bodies from the turbo injectors for the rebuild? Is the pressure that the spring pops at a different pressure between the two maybe? I haven't seen alot of info on this so I will make sure and photo and document everything for future ppl interested in doing this.

Thanks much!
Greg

Westech

CPL
The 6.5 turbo has a higher pop pressure. I installed a hummer pump and 6.5 injectors on my last M1008 and she rolled smoke like crazy. Not too much power but way over fueled. You may have to play with fuel settings of you put in 6.5 injectors with a 6.2 pump. I would do some research (Google) on that combo and see what's up.

99nouns

I have decided I am going to give rebuilding my injectors a try, I took a spare I had apart today and they are crazy simple inside! One question i do have is, the 96 turbo tips are $15 as apposed to $7 that Westech mentioned, still a heck of a deal. My question though, what is the difference between a turbo vs a NA injector? I know that the IP is what meters out the amount of fuel delivered to the injector, so what is the diff. that would make the price different and it it something that really matters? I will be running my truck NA until spring when I don't freeze doing the swap. Will this be ok, I don't plan on turning up my IP until that time.I have 2 sets of injectors, one from a NA 6.5 military take out motor and one from the 96 civi turbo 6.5l I got to rebuild. Should I plan on using the bodies from the turbo injectors for the rebuild? Is the pressure that the spring pops at a different pressure between the two maybe? I haven't seen alot of info on this so I will make sure and photo and document everything for future ppl interested in doing this.

Thanks much!
Greg
Would love to see the pictures of your rebuild when you get on with it :)

llong66

The 6.5 turbo has a higher pop pressure. I installed a hummer pump and 6.5 injectors on my last M1008 and she rolled smoke like crazy. Not too much power but way over fueled. You may have to play with fuel settings of you put in 6.5 injectors with a 6.2 pump. I would do some research (Google) on that combo and see what's up.
I already have a 6.5l pump, my truck came with a 6.5l repower courtesy of Uncle Sam. The injectors I currently have are demension wise, exactly the same as the ones that came out of the 6.5l turbo I got for my rebuild

ssdvc

The 6.2 uses a nozzle injector that INSIDE the housing. They can be found at rock auto for $7.04 each.
you take the injector body and it unscrews and the spring, check ball and nozzle come out.
just place in the new nozzle and put the housing back together and poof... done.
I would not waste my time trying to get them balanced. Its just not going to happen in a 6.2 with the nozzle type of injector.
Balancing a 6.2 injector means you rebuild a ton of them until you have a set that is close. There is no way to adjust the nozzle that I know of.

https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,ca...ch_V8_DIESEL_Diesel_Fuel_Injector_Nozzle.html
Tried the link, but no parts listed. Did my old brain miss something?