• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injector return line

Oilleaker1

Where can I get the correct type 1/4 inch plastic return line that is compatable with diesel fuel. The stuff I used looked correct, but swells and softens with no. 2 fuel. I used ferrules, inserts and the old nuts, but the plastic is worrying me. Any leads appreciated, John

two.fiveM35

I would like to know also. I thought I bought some NOS tubing, but I am having the same issue that I had the the tubing that I bought at Ace hardware. My tubing stretches over time and sags, not sure if it's from the diesel or the heat.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Line;
McMaster-Carr

Fittings;
McMaster-Carr

You can use the black nylon brake hose too, but there are a couple different types. Ask the counter person if the line they have is compatable with fuel. Just an FYI, Freightliner has been using regular old DOT plastic line for years.

Last edited:

Oilleaker1

Thanks guys! Gene, I know both places in Rapid. Deuceman 51 says napa sells the black 1/4 inch brake DOT line that is supposed to be the oil/ fuel resistant type. The clear stuff is hard to find they say. The brand new hardware store piece is simply not going to make it. It swells and sags from a perfect fit and then goes soft mush------beware! :-( John

PropDr

Where can I get the correct type 1/4 inch plastic return line that is compatable with diesel fuel. The stuff I used looked correct, but swells and softens with no. 2 fuel. I used ferrules, inserts and the old nuts, but the plastic is worrying me. Any leads appreciated, John

Sounds like you used Polyethylene tubing.

What you want to look for is Nylon 11, It's sold under the brand names of Nylo-Seal and Nylaflow. Usually it can be found in translucent white or black. Nylon is compatible with a wide varity of chemicals including gasoline, diesel and engine oil. It's frequently used for brake lines on ultralights and kit planes.

tensile strength 8500psi
heat distortion point @66 psi 302*F
elongation 160%

Any good hydraulic hose shop should stock it. If you can't source it locally pm me and I'll point you in the correct direction.

rlwm211

One other thing to remember is that there are two different length ferrules. You want the shorter of the two. If you try to use the longer one you cannot get the nut to start.

RL

Oilleaker1

I know that there are ferrules with a flat side and taper on the other. Mine are tapered on both sides. The nut threads in fine all the way with my '71 Deuce. You must use a insert or the tubing gets crushed and turned sideways and cuts the tubing. I may have different fittings. Oil pressure gauge tubing kits use the flat side ferrules unless you are using copper. I haven't got the DOT plastic line yet, so I don't know how my inserts will fit yet. With their 1/4 inch line, wall thickness might be different. One little fitting can stop a 13,500 # truck:-x. I was glad I had my fire extinguisher on board. Got to thinking about a hot engine and diesel spray on the way home after finding the sagged repair. I gave some veterans a ride in a parade. They had a good time. John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks