• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Injured Working On Blazer

erniemigi

we have several tall vehicles that required us to either use a chair, bucket, milk crate, almost anything we could find, then i also had the misfortune of using a plastic chair to climb up and get under the hood, but when i stepped back down on the chair which somehow did a david copperfield affect and vanished down on my a*@ i went, from that point i decided to build a u shaped platform only a couple feet off the ground so that away i could walk around all 3 sides of the truck without having to get down move the (whatever we decided to use) all around, hope your arm heals fast and your doing ok, by the way don't ever pull the coil wire on a car while it is running, thats a whole nother story

Dave Kay

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dude, that HAD to hurt some kind of bad... and it was so avoidable. These kind of freak-injuries happen in my industry all the time. In fact, I've hurt myself a few times!

Here's what you need--- I swear--- these things are WAY handy!

Found this on Cabela's website;

"A must for every pickup, van or SUV owner, (MV too!) the Tire Step gives you a convenient, solid step up, letting you easily, safely access stowed items or perform maintenance on hard to reach areas. It's adjustable to three heights and three widths with the simple push of two spring buttons. Heavy-duty steel construction with a rugged non-skid step plate. It also folds for compact transport and storage. Fits wheel wells 22" or greater."

Better luck to ya' and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Attachments

lavarok

Good warning. Standing on a bucket is almost as safe as standing on the top of a step ladder.
I use one of these. I keep it in my Contact Maintenance Truck. Very handy.

Where did you buy said folding step? I've had one on my to buy list for a while and after reading this thread will get one tomorrow. The thought of how much the OPs break must of hurt is enough motivation for me.

That and my wife keeps getting mad when I stand on the recycle containers! The truck tire step would work well for some applications but not nearly as versatile as the folding step/platform.

tbearatkin

Dude, that HAD to hurt some kind of bad... and it was so avoidable. These kind of freak-injuries happen in my industry all the time. In fact, I've hurt myself a few times!

Here's what you need--- I swear--- these things are WAY handy!

Found this on Cabela's website;

"A must for every pickup, van or SUV owner, (MV too!) the Tire Step gives you a convenient, solid step up, letting you easily, safely access stowed items or perform maintenance on hard to reach areas. It's adjustable to three heights and three widths with the simple push of two spring buttons. Heavy-duty steel construction with a rugged non-skid step plate. It also folds for compact transport and storage. Fits wheel wells 22" or greater."

Better luck to ya' and best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Next thing we are going to read from you is "MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TAKEN YOUR STEP OFF YOUR TIRE BEFORE MOVING THE TRUCK" rofl

466Navastar

funny - but true....I ran over a short 2 step ladder after consciously thinking a few moments before that I needed to move it.......was distracted by the way the truck was running and KRUNCH - stuff happens...we have to be careful though

JDToumanian

Thanks for all the well-wishing guys! I was really lucky, it was a "non-displaced fracture" (or it set itself) along with the worst bruise I've ever seen. After a few weeks, the bruise went yellow and it started to itch, and after a month it was pretty much back to normal.

I always think twice before Closing the hood on my M818. It is long and it is tricky stepping down.....
When I'm walking around on the bumper or fenders of my deuce, I always get this horrible fear of slipping off and breaking my jaw on the fall down. I never thought it would be my Blazer that bit me instead...

Jon

Disciple

Ouch! Son of a... Thanks for the reminder. I've slipped off the hubs and the brush guard of my 1008 while working under the hood. Wet boots + slick metal = pain. I've been lucky (so far). I think it's time to look into a step of some sort.
But hey, look on the bright side: at least you broke your arm doing something really manly and cool. I somehow managed to break my leg during Reading Class (don't get me started) way back in Junior High! This was 5 days after I broke my arm! :oops: Hence my dad's nickname for me: The Master of Disaster.

Armada

Thanks for the safety tip Jon. Sorry it had to be from personal experience! I've never broken a bone before, nor would I ever want too. I can't imagine the pain. Sounds like you are on a speedy recovery with no long term effects, other than maybe a fear of buckets now. :)! Be careful out there.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tomorrow with be 11 months since picking up and transferring the Deuce to our ownership.

Safety Record:
Soldier A: No Accidents/No Injuries
Soldier B: No Accidents/No Injuries
Others : No Accidents/No Injuries

Deuce "The ARK": No Accidents/ No Damage

YAY :jumpin: :driver: :grin:

JDToumanian

I wish I could say I was injury free with my MVs.... Looking back, standing on a bucket would seem to be an easy injury to prevent, but my deuce has had plenty of my blood spilled on it where I can't see how a reasonable person could have foreseen an injury. For example, when I was trouble shooting a transfer case problem I suspected that it's popping out of gear may have been caused by the shift lever hitting the passenger seat. While driving, I went to fold the bench seat up, and with my right hand I pulled the folding support past the "over center" point so it would hold the seat up. Next thing I knew there was blood spatter on the windshield and my finger went numb. That folding seat support snapped off the tip of my finger! ....It healed very well, you can hardly tell it happened.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks