• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inline fuel pump question..

Slim

For the guys who are using an externally mounted fuel pump to replace the in tank unit:
What type of pump are you using? Is one kind better than another? Where is a good (cheap) place to buy one? Also, do you have to remove the in tank pump or can it pull fuel through it?

Thanks

trudsmtuner

I got a kit I was going to put on eBay for 99.00 shipped to continental US

send pm i'll send pictures, same kit as OD iron and the rest of them.
leave pump in tank. splice copper line, slide compression fittings on, tighten everything down, plug in two wires, good to go.

Jones

I prefer a motor driven pump as opposed to a "solid state" unit. The motor driven units are usually good for 70 to 140 gph and put out pressures high enough to require a pressure regulator. It may be overkill but that way I'm sure my system demand won't ever reach pump max. capacity.
There are lots of brands out there to choose from so that part of the equation is purely personal preference.

The only thing to remember is that electric pumps like to push rather than pull so the closer to the tank, the better.

Since the in-tank pump is an impellor-type there may be some restriction so if you're concerned about it, just disconnect the pick up line (rubber line from the motor down to the pump istelf) and let it lay in the bottom of the tank-- just not in the sump (usually where the drain plug is) as that's there to allow dirt and water to settle into it.
For filtration, you can always wrap a piece of screen around the end of the hose to keep from sucking up too much gunk off the bottom of the tank.

Slim

Thanks guys, I found a few solid state pumps on ebay, I'll order one this week. It appears as though somebody had problems before as the copper line on top of the tank is already spliced with a piece of rubber fuel line.

Jones

Slim, if the truck has been sitting for a while you may have crud throughout the fuel lines.
Metal lines are notorious for kinking so when you get your pump problems cured you might want to disconnect the line at the IP and run the electric pump a bit to see what kind of flow you have. Let it pour into a glass jar and you'll be able to see it the fuel is clean or if it has junk and/or water in it.
It won't necessarily be a gusher but it should flow freely enough to supply the engine. When my external pump is running there's enough flow to start pouring fuel back into the tank through the return line.

Make sure your filters are fresh and not clogged. The paper elements in fuel filters can become saturated with water and once that happens fuel won't flow through. I've seen it mostly with the little add-on in-line filters but I imagine it could happen with a larger filter given prolonged periods of poor or no maintenance.

If the fuel flow is weak then start looking for crushed places or kinks; usually where the clearances are tight or where there may have been interference during an engine or transmission change.

Slim

Well the mailman brought my new pump today, $33 shipped to my door. Now to figure out where to mount it. Was thinking on the frame behind the cab but I know these pumps like to push rather than pull, would the extra 8" be too much head for it to pull, or should it be mounted directly on the tank?

1stDeuce

Be forewarned, the solid state "pulse" pumps usually don't put out the volume that a deuce requires... They actually become a restriction once the engine is up to speed. (search for in tank pump fix...)

i just put an external impeller pump in my deuce. I actually put it in the tank, so we'll see how it does. It was a carter... Made in the USA!!!
Said it had a "wet motor".... Hopefully that means it'll work submerged in diesel fuel. :) Think it was rated for 45gph, but it wasn't flowing that through my likely half clogged filters...

Truck ran fine with the engine pump only, I was just afraid that if I air locked it, I'd have trouble ever starting it again.

C

rebel_raider

I put my pump inside the frame rail under the cab, and it seems to work fine. Can't remember anything about it except that it was a Carter. I can take a pic tomorrow evening if you want/need one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks