• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inline posting of photos in a thread

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah. This:

Hey CC,

We have the image tags turned off. You need to upload your images to the thread. We do this because of all the problems involved with images hosted off site (people let their host sites go, delete the images, etc.).
I see why this has been done.

The huge downside, is that with the proliferation of good cell phone cameras, I no longer use or carry a camera. My DroidX has a great camera and an app that uploads the photos on the spot to my Smugmug gallery as I did here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/parts-sale/82275-5-ton-wheel.html#post1050416

So it is a real pain to either plug in my phone, browse to some arcane directory where the photos are installed, then upload them. Or else I have do download them to my computer from my gallery.

I hate it too when some free gallery with useful photos goes away.

How about fixing it so that the upload from a URL works? I tried pasting the URL into the upload box so it could pull my photo from the gallery but it didn't work. Here's a URL for a sample photo, am I doing it wrong?

http://beerslayer.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Bin/i-Nb6cgNh/0/L/DSCN6935b-L.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I feel your pain...

I finally could make the change, but I understand why they want it like it is.

As for the remote upload, I'll have to look into it. But it's most likely because the remote upload is only taking the file from the remote location and inserting into the database. The file upload actually takes the file and reduces the file size accordingly.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yup, it's as I fear, the plug in that handles the resize of images only does it to locally hosted images. Sorry.

I know in photobucket I can specify image resolution. As a compromise, perhaps setting it on a folder in your account to only 800x800 max would alleviate the issue for the url copy.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, it's as I fear, the plug in that handles the resize of images only does it to locally hosted images. Sorry.

I know in photobucket I can specify image resolution. As a compromise, perhaps setting it on a folder in your account to only 800x800 max would alleviate the issue for the url copy.
OK, going to try that;;;

Sweet! Ir worked on small size.

Attachments

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, so here is what I did. Went to beerslayer.smugmug.com clicked on a photo in the gallery. Click on a thumbnail of an image. At the top I can select the image size. The butterfly above is size: S for small. Now I am going to try to embed a Size: M the same photo.

In Firefox, right click, select 'copy image location' this gives a URL with a jpg file extension. Click on the paperclip icon; select upload file from URL, past in the URL. Yep, shows a file 85k size.

Here goes!

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hahaha, now you can post pics from your phone and the second one you post, is a direct violation of our rules! hahaha

Great...

salt6

And if you want to write something with photos throughout to illustrate rather than in a box at the bottom then what?

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hahaha, now you can post pics from your phone and the second one you post, is a direct violation of our rules! hahaha

Great...
Oh Doghead. Why do you hate Freedom? And America?

That's a photo I took of a funny ad about two years ago. Since it is long expired, I doubt it is a violation of anything. But;;; if you like I can replace it with a photo of a fluffy kitty or a puppy, or a MV. It is after all just a test of the emergency posting system, and I don't have any personal stake in whether that photo is here or not. At least I used the search feature.

And if you want to write something with photos throughout to illustrate rather than in a box at the bottom then what?
Well this is the rub, really. It is really nice to be able to tell a story with photos with captions and good explanations using small words, so that OGs like me can understand. And it is really not nice to do the same then later delete the pics or drop the 'free' hosted account so that the photos go away.

OK, here's a MV photo for you. Looks sharp with Clinto's recentered rims.

So there you go. I understand why the photos have to be uploaded here.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks