• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inner panel rust?

hoplite666

I've begun to realize that the holes in the body of my m1009, where the antenna mounts were torn off, may have become a breeding ground for inner panel rusting. Before I weld up the holes, is there any product someone has had good experiences with and would recommend to spray inside, through the holes,IMAG0397.jpg to help neutralize any possible rust? As I'm writing this I just realized I can probably access the inner panel by removing the tail light.

Ray70

I recently read about that Miracle paint, seemed like a good product for cheap. I was thinking of using it on a box truck I was doing. I ended up using the "cheaper" Miracle, not the implement paint with the hardener. It didn't work well at all. For the sake of saving $30 it was a mistake. I've used SEM corrosion preventer inside panels. It leaves an oily/waxy coating and seeps into crevices to shield the inner panels from moisture. I use it inside rockers after I replace them and inside quarter panels where I can't get to weld seams after the panel is on. Also good for protecting the hem on the bottom of doors and tailgates. You can also use a zinc or chromate based primer if you want. I'd weld up the holes, then go in through the tail light and spray it. If you have a good amount of access you can even try hitting the rust with a converter first, if the rust is substantial. Do NOT spray undercoating directly on rust or bare metal, it will trap moisture and accelerate the rust! If you have a good amount of access, prime it and paint it. If access is limited go with the SEM corrosion preventer. You can get it in a spray can with a red straw or they also sell an 18" wand attachment for the can. It also comes in qts. that you spray with a Shutz gun with a 360 wand attachment, if you want to get inside rocker panels or other areas with no access.

cucvrus

021.jpgMy opinion to the problem. If you jack up the M1009 and go under the rear quarter panel. You will see a small panel bolted on the edge of the outer floor where the floor meets the quarter panel. It is held in place by a few 5/16" bolts. Carefully remove the bolts. Remove that little panel guard filler. What ever you want to call it. Remove your entire tail lamp assembly and that will give you a little access to get in there and pressure wash and scrub that area. Clean the rust as good as you can and then weld the antenna holes shut. Or not, your choice. Spray some good rust inhibitor up there. I have had great success with Rustoleum Rust reformer. And the top coating it with Rusfre as pictured. It is just an idea. It has great coverage and is a spray able product. Really makes a nice job of ugly under carriages, inside doors and under hood inner fenders and battery boxes. Dries to a no stick finish. I hope that is some help to you..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks