• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inner seal on brake drum help! M812

Still in the process of checking and adjusting all of the brakes on the M812. One of the brake drums was covered in oil which we found to be a bar inner oil seal upon taking it apart. Is there any trick to installing this seal into the brake drum? It keeps wanting to pop out. I bought a 6" piece of PVC pipe that fits perfectly on the outer rim of the seal so I could give it even pressure but this doesn't work. Any tricks? The tech manual is kind of vague on the install. The manual makes it sound like you put the seal on the spindle then slide the drum on after but I don't see how this would work? I'll try to get some pictures.

Thanks,
Andy

ajg6989

clean the surfaces around the ridge where it sits you can use some bearing mount if you want and just slowly install it with a hammer have to get it started though thats the hardest part. Always can get a seal install for it

jwaller

yup. same as a deuce the seal has to be installed on the spindle. it takes quite a bit of pressure to set it on there and there is no way you could get that pressure by pushing it on with the drum. I usually take a very wide flat bar and tap around the inner metal edge of the seal until it's fulls seated.

Seal installation of 5 ton seals

Yes, the seals are on the drum on the 5 ton. There is a "speedi sleeve" type wiper on the spindle. They are different than the 2.5 ton. The 2.5 ton seal is on the spindle and rides on the edge of the bearing race. This is the only thing I have seen do this.

Anyway,

Get something flat and lay on the seal that goes all the way across. I like to us sockets, but the 5 ton is a bigger seal than most people have sockets that size. A piece of flat plate that has been cut round works best. Then tap the plate right in the center. This will take the seal down evenly. Getting it started is the hard part. You can do it with a hammer and sneak up on it around the edges and get it in. But you run the risk of denting the seal if you do not hit is squarely. The flate plate trick works best. You need to start looking at scrap yards and friends places for material like that. It always comes in handy. If you can find a piece of aluminum you doing great. If you are really creative. You can turn a piece of round stock and knurl one end and turn a shoulder (step) on the other and drill the flat plate in the center and mount the round stock as a handle and it will give you some where to hit. Then as you need different diameter plates you can interchange them on the handle. Before long you will have a nice set a various drivers for seals.

John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks