• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

inner seal r/r M-51 rear axle

BEASTMASTER

ok guys, hit a road block here, can't get the drum nuts off. the bolts just spin. do i cut them or is there a secret u can share with me?? if i cut them, do i weld the new ones back in place??

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drum nuts?

If I read it correctly, it is far easier to just pull the entire drum assy.

I've never had to separate those parts doing brake/bearing maintenance.

DG

BEASTMASTER

ya G744 i was hoping that wasn't the case. i'm 72 yrs old and the hub and drum together is beyond my back capabilities. i guess i'm gonna have to spring for a engine lift or put the brain to work on something. thanks for ur input guys . appreciate it.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, not talking about the lug nuts.

The drum can be removed without taking the axle out, pulling the bearing retaining nuts and bearings, and pulling the entire assembly. That is, if you can get the 'little' nuts off. Then worry the drum off, which ain't easy.

It is a lot easier for me, to just pull the whole magilla. If one has a stout leather belt around the drum as a handle (with room for your fingers, of course), it makes the task much easier.

Besides, any time you have got that far into it, you might as well repack the bearings.

Dennis

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now if you're going to replace the inner seal, you'll have to take it apart as I said.

Be aware these are NOT oil hubs.

The outer seal stops gear lube from getting into the bearings. You also have to put a blob of silicone in the spindle keyway to effect the sealing. Originally they used a cork wedge, but I find the goop works better (and is cheaper and easier to find).

DG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No, not talking about the lug nuts.

The drum can be removed without taking the axle out, pulling the bearing retaining nuts and bearings, and pulling the entire assembly. That is, if you can get the 'little' nuts off. Then worry the drum off, which ain't easy.

It is a lot easier for me, to just pull the whole magilla. If one has a stout leather belt around the drum as a handle (with room for your fingers, of course), it makes the task much easier.

Besides, any time you have got that far into it, you might as well repack the bearings.

Dennis
Curious... I know you can pull the Drum and Hub (spyder) and both Wheels all in one motion with a jack made to do that - but without taking the axle out - to get to the nuts that hold the hub on I can't see it happening.

Am I missing something?

---

I know a couple of guys here have used a pallet jack to remove or install tires.
Guessing the entire assembly could be the same way - but if you don't have help and a slick smooth floor or plywood under the truck you will nick the oil seals.

I hate to admit that the jack I have that is made to do that job doesn't have a name on it. The MAGIC is tilt. That is what keeps you from nicking seals - and a pallet jack doesn't have that.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another heads up...Don't use any grease with moly in it like high-pressure disk brake grease: if it does get polluted with gear oil it will turn into a non-lubricating mush. Scored bearings are an expensive fix.

Just get a decent, long fiber brown grease. It will do the job just fine.

DG

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mullany, some folks think the Timken/Rockwell axle disassembles like modern units, where you can remove the wheels and pull just the drum and replace without taking everything apart.

Not so with the usual 5-ton truck.

Sorry for the confusion.

DG

BEASTMASTER

ya hey guys , i'm no amateur . i've been in const since i was 15 yrs old. i was hoping there was an easier way to get the drum off the hub ,seeing as it's so heavy together. i guess 15 yrs. ago i got lucky when i had to do an inner seal and i got the drum off and then the hub alot lighter in two pieces, but i guess i was younger and stronger , yup getting old. at least i got the dump body and i can put it up and use a cum a long to lift the whole thing up and back together. redneck ingenuity i guess. anyway thanks for all the input . stay safe .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks