• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inquiry into a Southwest Virginia ride.

M925

Hey I'm going to be rolling soon in my M923, all legal and in good working order.

Does anyone want to go on a ride sometime in Giles, Bland, Craig, or Floyd counties? There's some cool wilderness areas around.

I was thinking about fording the New River if someone has a winch. Holler back at a feller!

skpromotionsllc

Force Multiplier
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Southwest to Southside VA

Hey now, what is your timing on this event, or has it already occurred? I am out of Charlotte County, near Charlotte Courthouse and Drakes Branch, VA. We are about 30 min from Appomattox VA. What sort of driving are you planning?:wink::wink:

M925

No one ever responded....We have a few guy a deuce, and Unimog/CUCV, and myself we can get together...That's kinda of a long haul for you.

I should not go too far from home or too rough, baby needs new tires. But whenever.

skpromotionsllc

Force Multiplier
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, that is unfortunate. New tires are not going to be cheap. Good luck with that. It appears you will need 10 total. You are correct, that is quite a trip for my unit. We generally use it for trash delivery to the dump, trips to the hardware store and lumber yard, along with assorted trips to the local vineyard for wine tasting. The trip home is quite interesting as you can imagine. Have fun with that unit! Was it purchased from a dealer or government surplus? I love my M925A1..

M925

Surplus.....I will buy some tires from surplus, or put some really big aftermarket tires on it.....I dunno I will figure something out. Not too concerned they are not totally lost yet...new just old LOL.

Bought if out of the SCARNG there at FT Jackson. 6000 miles, 181 hours, rebuilt in 2009. Had to put two new batteries in it.

This is my second truck, I sold a M925.....I will probably try to buy another in the new year. Something nice. Probably will shoot for a tractor with a winch, something rebuilt in excellent condition.

Let me get my map out ad see exactly where you are....

Last edited:

Firejareen

There is an old power company trail/logging trail about 10 miles long running parallel to I-77 off of 52 in between Bland and Bastian. I have been meaning to go see how it looks but haven't made it yet. A friend said I may need a winch to run it but I have a 1028 so my double lockers and 37's may help.

M925

Do you think a 5 ton would fit? We could ride the roads through the NF as well, all legal and such.

There's a SS member in Princeton with a deuce that has a winch....that may come.

Last edited:

AceHigh

I am in Princeton, and I have a winch deuce, but neither me or the truck are off-roaders. (I know, turn in my man card!)

Still, this is interesting, maybe I can join in somehow and participate. Subscribed!

Firejareen

As far as the trail off I-77, I have not run it so I don't know the dimensions. I will try this weekend to go see how it looks and if a couple of 5 tons and deuces could run it.

M925

Thanks! Nah, did it myself. At my pace, it takes about a week to paint one. Mon and Tuesday sanding, Wednesday masking, Thursday paint the cab and Friday paint the bed.
I'm looking at getting a gun....would you recommend using the air off the truck to spray with? If I got a water and oil separator?

I find painting interesting and would like to get started spraying my own stuff! I have a beautiful truck that has some surface rust...

Could you direct me in the direction on how to handle surface rust and sand (prep) the truck..I have one really bad spot near the window?

Also, how did you come to the decision on the color? Did you use primer? Clear Coat?

*Thanks Firejareen!

AceHigh

Firejareen, hope the others excuse the hijack, but here ya go. I painted it outside my shop in Bluefield (I have since retired and am shopless!) and sanded the surface rust, applied bondo as needed, primed the entire truck with rustoleum, bought a cheap spray gun at Lowes for about $29, used 4 gallons of Rapco enamel paint. Lettering is using a paint mask. I used 2 compressors manifolded together, I am sure it would be hard to paint it with on-board air. The color is the old OD green in use when I was a grunt. :) Let me know if that helps, it is real easy but unless you have an inside place, you are stuck till next summer. I had it under a tree, the birds sat in the tree and dumped some purple poop on one fender, so I had to re-shoot it. Oh well. BTW I did this truck about 5 years ago and it still looks good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks