• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Insane MKT Price??

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barnett1 welcome to the site and to the MKT obsession. We're getting quite a group here in TX. Maybe we should all try to circle the chuckwagons at the next SS Ralley in College Station. Everyone can take a meal to cook and the attendees (if they want fed) can all pull KP :wink:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Barnett1,

You may want to set yours up as 'the sink' - a mobile field sanitation center. It would really complement the functioning MKT's the other Texan's have. It's presence would help to satisfy the health department's inspectors by having the three compartment sink, hot water, etc. all in a neat, mobile package that could be backed up to the cooking trailer. That's the plan for my stripped out MKT.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It being an "insane" price is all relative. Spend a little, then spend lots of time and $ chasing down needed parts, some of which are hard to find/get, some of which you may never find. Spend alot, get a 95% complete one thats missing just the "easy" stuff to find.

If someone is trying to start a business for the summer, thats the MKT I'd go for, especially since it was a fresh rebuild.

And no, it wasnt me that bid on it.

Last edited:

Elwenil

Another thing to consider is that one of the exporters may have an order for them, so while that price may be hard to swallow for the collector, it's probably still profitable for a rebuilder/exporter.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thing to consider is that one of the exporters may have an order for them, so while that price may be hard to swallow for the collector, it's probably still profitable for a rebuilder/exporter.
Well if anyone knows these guys I'd happily sell them mine for 20% less so they could make even more money.

barnett1

Thanks for the welcome, I maybe in to deep I originally bought the trailer to lighten up and use for a motorcycle trailer, but after reading up on them I'm not sure what I will do with it. I will keep everyone posted in any event.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the welcome, I maybe in to deep I originally bought the trailer to lighten up and use for a motorcycle trailer, but after reading up on them I'm not sure what I will do with it. I will keep everyone posted in any event.
Pretty heavy trailer for motorcycles unless you were hauling 4 HD Full Dressers behind a deuce or 5 ton. The M103A3 trailer without the MKT body still weighs over 1600lbs. Add probably another 500 for the deck and you're past a ton of weight before loading anything.

Now if you were planning to tow it with a deuce or 5 ton forget I mentioned it, but if not I think you're better off with a much lighter trailer.

Last edited:

barnett1

Not planning on a deuce, but I figured I could get it down to about 1300 by changing axle to a 6000 Lb with electric brakes, remove top and all siding replace by a lighter wire mesh side and backs that will fold down for easy loading, remove landing gear, I would like to keep the springs under it that way I can put a 16" wheel and do away with wheel housings to make it a flat deck, One ultra glide and two sports bike about a 2200lb load, I think a 3/4 ton could handle that but thats just what I think. probably be a lot cheaper to rent a bike at location. I think I will buy a lighter trailer and save a lot of money...lol

KaiserM109

... I maybe in to deep I originally bought the trailer to lighten up and use for a motorcycle trailer, but after reading up on them I'm not sure what I will do with it. I will keep everyone posted in any event.
Motorcycle trailer it will never be. It is on an M103 frame, same as an M105. It has air brakes and takes a deuce to pull with any kind of load. If you want a cycle trailer look for an M101A2 with a surge brake on the front. Look at:
2330 - Trailers at Government Liquidation

Welcome to the trailer obsession. If you do decide to 'lighten it up' let us know. There are some parts that some of us MKT owners will buy.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The MKT is still be used and the CK (Containerized Kitchen) is not replacing the MKT. CK has the capability to feed 600 in an hour and the MKT 250.

Due to the Army's experience in OIF/OEF and going to contract dining facilities, a lot of units never used their equipment. The lack of use eventually resulted in lack of need and therefore the capabilities of various units were relooked. Several units are losing their MKT while a few others will convert to CKs to feed on an area basis. So the MKT is not leaving the system anytime soon.

I would also state that a significant rebuild program was operating up until recently to refurbish MKTs. There were still a lot sitting around from the 1990s. I know one unit that had 5 up until recently and weren't suppose to have any. These all went to rebuild.

If you haven't gotten one, don't fret, there are more coming and I'd say in another year or so, there will be some really, really nice ones hit.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i have another mkt coming in the next couple weeks. i plan on hauling it home with a F350 dually. its empty and missing the burners too. once home ill see what to do with the damaged one already here:jumpin: