• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inside dually stuck, and fixed

Prankster

I lost the rubber on the inside dually tire. The outside tire came off real easy. The inside just would not budge. I did the liquid wrench, the wire brush, the blaster penetrating oil, the sledge hammer: with care, and it wouldn't budge.

So,.. I laced a chain through the holes twice. This gave me four legs which I bolted together to make them all the same length.

Next I placed my high-lift jack on the axle hub: looped it under the chain, and I had to use a cheater pipe on the handle.

Finely, the wheel popped off, I fell, and twisted my ankle.
In retrospect, I think a hydraulic jack might have been better.

I didn't have a gear puller that large where I could have used my impact.

``````````````````````````

If you had a stuck wheel, how would have gotten it off?
I know there has to be an easier way.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I think someone might be looking for some studs about now.
not really, I have had rims RUSTED to the drum, all the bud nuts off, took a BFH on the edges of the rim many times to get them to break free

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keith_J and I swapped 6 tires around last week between the deuce and MKT. I had a right, rear, inner that was flat and 2 brand new tires on the MKT. So we took the MKT tires, put them on the front of the deuce, the tires on the front of the deuce to the right rear, and the one good tire back on the MKT with the other side still hanging in the air.

The only problem we had was getting the right side tire off the MKT. The person that put it on must have used an industrial sized air hammer and torqued it to the breaking point. We used a 3/4" breaker with a 6' cheater bar and still nearly didn't get it off. The fact that it was put on less than 3 months ago makes me think it was torqued a wee bit much.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think it was like 73M819 called it - rusted on. The BFH that is called for is a 16#er. Use it to hit the rim of the wheel. That can also happen here with a combination of rust/mud/ice. The BFH is standard equipment to carry with you. Add it to the pioneer kit!

Keith_J

A sledge hammer always works because "rust welds" are brittle. Just NEVER use it on a tire with pressure.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's this "rust" you all speak of? I think we outlawed it in SOCAL.

:driver:

Prankster

Rust

Here is a Man who knows about rust. Acid mixed with salt, and antifreeze splashing all over your Automobile, and eating giant holes in everything. Rust welds so tough that cutting torches have replaced wrenches.

The rust we have, vs the hippies and gun nazis you have....

Winning.

yes, I'm still jealous.

hoop

I am glad I was wrong.
After I posted, I started thinking about it some more and I think it would be impossible to strip all 6 studs with a high lift jack. I said it, I left it....But I should have thought about it some more before I posted.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's this "rust" you all speak of? I think we outlawed it in SOCAL.

:driver:
Along with rust y'all outlawed all kinds of useful stuff too. Oh, thanks for CARB. Hows the price of gas? Gotta pay for that paradise, right?

Loco_Hosa

Along with rust y'all outlawed all kinds of useful stuff too. Oh, thanks for CARB. Hows the price of gas? Gotta pay for that paradise, right?
My experience with So-Cal was full of HORRIFIC job market, burglary, dirty smelly hippies, non English speaking cashiers, a few awesome SS members, but yes, it was rust free.

I will take a decent job and English at ALL my local fuel stations thank you, even if everything I own does turn to rust. :)

One of my favorite things about Pierce county? I swear the county has been sprayed with Hippy repellent. I suppose that may be because of the terrible weather though.

Katahdin

The more I work on my vehicles the more envious I am of you guys in dryer climates.

Here's my suggestion:
1) Remove the axle shaft
2) Pull the hub with stuck wheel off, set tire on ground hub up, drum down.
3) Place block on top of hub, hit block with BFH.

Figure this way the weight of the hub and drum is working for you and it'll only fall a couple inches to the ground without any risk of injuring anybody.

plym49

On old cars, the trick to getting a stuck wheel - or a stuck drum on a tapered axle shaft - is to jack up the OTHER side and then push the rear of the vehicle sideways. The stuck item is the side on the ground and the sideways push pops it free. Never tried it on a 13,000 lb truck, though! :eek:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

We call it sunshine tax. I only wish more people hated CA and moved away - the lines would be shorter and the freeways would be less crowded.

:p