• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inside rear wheel removal

fhu667

I was removing my wheels today, and I ran into an issue. The outside rear wheel on my passenger side came right off. However I can't get the inside wheel off. There are no inner lug nuts. It appears that the wheels just sandwich together. I figure I'm not the first one with this issue, so I'm hoping someone here can help. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You have to remove the "thimble".

Its the square drive that is still there. 13/16 square if memory serves me.

Stud-Pilot-System.jpg

Last edited:

fhu667

IMG_0683.jpgIMG_0683.jpg
The square drive is still there, but I thought it looked like the wheel should slide right off. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nope, see the flange at the bottom?

thimble.jpg

Time to start reading(tech manuals) about what your driving. What would you do if you got a flat while on the road?

fhu667

Thanks for your help. That makes perfect sense, but it just looks like that wheel ought to slide right off. Obviously it didn't.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is an easy way to remember thread direction for removing the lug nuts. With the lug wrench on the nut and the handle pointing straight up, pull towards the back of the truck to loosen the lug nuts. This is true for either side.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to remember anything if you simply follow the step by step directions in the tm.

TGP (IL)

Thanks DH !
Actually it was sorry excuse at joke.
I use the TM's faithfully.
However after over forty years of R&R Budd and Dayton wheels
The TM's need not be applied.
Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks