• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inspect your MV's....

fpchief

Been doing a few things to this M1097A2 since recovery....water pump, ps pump, and a few other things along the way. Today was my first chance at getting under it and doing a good stem to stern inspection of the underside. Besides a cracked dust boot, all is really good then I came to the mid truck u-joint. It was held in place with just one nut on each strap. And both of those nuts were loose. It had been driven on the land a little, thankfully nothing on the road or at speed.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Systematic mediation under the Humv with the Pelotron creeper. Start with flashlight in hand moving slowly left to right, front to back. Where I shine it... it gets checked and a mental note of what it does, why it's there (or not) then move a little. Do it again. 1-2-3 and 1-2-3 Doesn't look right or just dirty? Gets an up close hands / wrench check and wipe down.

Any clink, clunk, donk, bang, boop, dink, buzz, whoop - whoop going down the road... Check RIGHT NOW.

Make for a good investment workout, CAMO

Last edited:

twisted60

Have a look at your positive battery cable connects and where it goes thru from battery box to inside of frame. Mine was finger tight just waiting to short.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

papakb

This is the result of never lubing the U-joints. Only 1 journal had about half the number of bearings in it and the other 3 were metal to metal. Total lack of PCMS on my part!

Bad U-joint 1.jpgBad U-joint 3.jpg

fasttruck

Reference post 6: throw a driveshaft out of a M35 is a character building experience. The flaying shaft will clean of the chassis in a twinkle: brake lines, electric wires, all gone. ASnd if it is a rear shaft, no handbrake either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks