• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inspection issues, thoughts on condition

Milbikes

I looked at an M1008 today. It has a really solid body, but has some mechanical issues:

Starts easily, idles fine, but if you let your foot off the pedal quickly it dies (warmed up or cold).

Radiator does not build up pressure, and coolant drips from out of the bottom of the aluminum flywheel/torque converter cover. I see no coolant on the top of the block or trans. Any ideas what this could be?

A bit of thin white "fog" coming out of the oil filler neck when cap is off.....not like thick smoke. A little thin milky residue inside filler neck.

When coasting down steep hills, the engine speed surges up and down.

When pulling a steep hill it also surges a little.

The truck accelerates well and seems to have power, but does put out noticeable white smoke. It looks white, rather than oily blue or black. (More than my last M1008)

Would the smoke be possible from a bad injector pump, or is it rings?

I am thinking it needs an injector pump. I have replaced one before, and could do it if needed, but I don't want to have to rebuild the engine.

Any thoughts on the smoke, and coolant leak? I have searched the forum for previous posts on these symptoms, and haven't found much. Thanks for any info. H.

Matt65

A lot of the issues you have described will need attention. You should be able to negotiate a pretty low price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks