• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inspection Sticker Requirement (New)

Westex

Had a conversation with a good friend this evening who hauls his bulldozer all over Texas and he informed me that all trailers with a load (that's cargo) rating over 4,000 pounds now needs an inspection sticker on the trailer. Any Texas members have any intel on this?

Goose2448

Cant help with TX, but if its anything like PA, they stick the inspection stickers on the inside of the trailer frame, so no one will ever know if you have one, or have had it updated. I know a few PA trailers that have been inspected once...

86m1028

Had a conversation with a good friend this evening who hauls his bulldozer all over Texas and he informed me that all trailers with a load (that's cargo) rating over 4,000 pounds now needs an inspection sticker on the trailer. Any Texas members have any intel on this?
Yes, its been like that for years just never enforced.

Motorcar

Yes on the inspection if over 4,000 pounds, but..... If you register an M105 trailer with the empty wieght of 2750 and load capacity of 1000, for a total of 3750 then... no annual inspection required. It's all in how you do the initial paperwork at the county tax office to tag it. I will never put more than a thousand pounds in my M105A2's and registered both this same way.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's registered as a FMV (yes you can do a trailer that way) then no inspection required. That's how I have the MKT set up. Of course then you're limited with what you can do with it.

Pawnshop

Yes, Texas inspects trailers with a GVW over #4500 (titles required over #4000 GVW) and has for years. They look for general safety, working lights and working brakes (though it's hard to tell if the brakes work, they just look to see if they are complete and in good condition). The sticker should be placed on the driver side of the tongue. Trailers registered TXFMV ARE exempt

And there is at least one State Trooper in the San Angelo area who DOES enforce that law...

txmytx_catahoula

Sec.
A548.052.VEHICLES NOT SUBJECT TO INSPECTION.A This
chapter does not apply to:
(1)
a trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile
home moving under or bearing a current factory-delivery license
plate or current in-transit license plate;
(2)
a vehicle moving under or bearing a paper dealer
in-transit tag, machinery license, disaster license, parade
license, prorate tab, one-trip permit, antique license, temporary
24-hour permit, or permit license;
(3)
a trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile
home having an actual gross weight or registered gross weight of
4,500 pounds or less;
(4)
farm machinery, road-building equipment, a farm
trailer, or a vehicle required to display a slow-moving-vehicle
emblem under Section 547.703;
(5)
a former military vehicle, as defined by Section
502.275;
(6)
a vehicle qualified for a tax exemption under
Section 152.092, Tax Code; or
(7)
a vehicle for which a certificate of title has been
issued but that is not required to be registered.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended
by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 30.121(a), eff. Sept. 1,
1997; Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 963, Sec. 1, eff. June 18, 1999;
Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 1423, Sec. 7, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts

2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, Sec. 19.006, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.

From the code, but I'm with others, I've never seen it inforced.

Pawnshop

I found out about it when my boss got pulled over east of San Angelo and ticketed for it, twice in two weeks, by the same Trooper. He was towing a 16' Wells Cargo enclosed. I asked Johnny at the inspection station next door and he confirmed, and confirmed that he rarely does the inspections and that it is rarely enforced. Once is all it takes to cost you money though...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks