• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

inspiration for the overlanders

coachgeo

This has been my inspiration so far...
With the help of photo shop.
Too bad it is not one of the rare side door Cab overs. If so I'd say turn it around from how you have it pictured and use space under overhead bed for Bikes ATV etc. Smarter might be a Tiny fith wheel that will have a side door. They are a bit rare though so will take time to find one. Scamps, Quantums, Escape are a few small-fifth-wheel-trailer-quantum-3.jpg Most those are considered Egg Shell construction. Casita and Scamp's Egg Shell travel trailers as well as a few others who make nice hard side trailers (non-fifth wheel) would work good too.

buffalorunner

This truck camper was so cheap from the start that I figured I would try it out, see how functional it will be and where things need to change. I want to use the space under the "duck bill" portion to relocate the air cans and batteries so they are up a little higher off the road and out of harms way. As well as space for another water tank. The space under the camper that normally would clear the wheel wells on a truck will be closed in with traditional metal tool box style doors for more storage space. I would like to keep an open pass through under the front for storage of large/bulky items like coolers and bikes. I don't mind the idea of a rear exit door, I have plans drawn that will allow for an oversized "tail gate" made from steel grate that will act as a "porch" when folded down, with the support legs sliding out from the frame of the truck so nothing has to touch the ground but the steps.

I have been keeping an eye out for the "unique" types of campers that would fit this truck better, but keep coming to the same conclusion. They are to far away, too expensive, or both. I am confident that if this works well, I will do a set up with an all fiberglass camper like the "Big Foot" brand, or look to four wheel pop ups or phoenix customs for a flatbed version. All this will be best facilitated of course once I retire from active an have some time of my own to work on my projects though.

coachgeo

128-2899_IMG.jpgthis concept would work good in areas with trees, unlike many Overland boxes which seem to be made for open space/desert like climates. Low on the sides where tree's limbs overhang, higher in the center allowing to stand where in a camper is usually only place folk stand anyway. Also raised area is where limbs are less liable to be an issue. On some past travel trailers and van campers some where done this way too. On them a camper AC unit was actually more like a typical Window unit tucked inside a boxed in area at aft end of the raised portion. Left a flush back end instead of AC unit sticking out anywhere be it on top or backside.

buffalorunner

It's funny you mention that, the AC unit came out last weekend and I am test fitting a tinted "bubble" dome in its place in order to reduce overall height, take some weight off the roof, and get rid of a device that i will not have enough power to use while boondocking. Other than the new sun roof, an upgrade to a 2 way fantastic fan should be enough to keep it comfortable in the camper.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check this out.[h=3]Abenteuer & Allrad 2016 The World’s biggest Off-Road Show[/h]Do a search and go to the site then the gallery for a lot of pictures of a european show with a lot of overlander RVs using the same cab as the FMTV.

I just browsed through the Abenteuer & Allrad gallery. This Steyr 12M18 is sweet.

aa2016-36.jpg

I've always liked the Steyr. Before we decided on our M1078, we test drove a Steyr 12M18 from Origon. The Steyr is very nice and in many ways more "refined" than a LMTV, but they are expensive (a rough surplus condition one we looked at was almost 3 times the cost of the LMTV we got), they can't be registered in all US states, part availability is a big problem, and there are only a handful in the US. They are great truck, but I think the LMTV is a better choice for us here in the states.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thats the name that slipped my mind! Steyr thanks for reminding me. Using Steyr 12M18 in a search yields good results also.
I also like my M1078A1 all the luxuries can be added.