• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Install 803A in shop 55' away or?

JRM

I just finished my outside 50A plug in for my 803A, was planning on just plugging in the 803 next to the house whenever power outages occur as I built a small ATV trailer for it and its very mobile- now I'm planning on building a pole barn- how much loss can I expect if I install the 803 inside the shop 55' away? Will #6 work at that distance or will I need to up it to #4? Reason I ask is when I built my home a decade ago I buried 2" conduit to where the shop will be, expecting to feed the shop no more than 100A, I "think" I can fit a second #6 in there for the generator service back to the panel but I doubt if I can fit 2 #4 wires in a 2" pipe

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 100' of #6 cord that I use for my generator setup.

If you look at cable voltage drop charts (3%) #6 copper is good for 50a up to 100'.

For anything 100' and under #6 copper for 50a is the sweet spot of size and cost. If you want to overkill it use #4. #4 is good at 50a up to 200'.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 803A will provide more than 50A. Go with 4#. 100 ft and even more will be no issue with 4#.
It can but its not likely you will be running over 50a for any length of time. The issue there obviously is heat. You don't want to damage the insulation on the cable from excess heat.

The cord I use has a lower temperature rise vs THHN due to all the layers of insulation and everything being bundled in a single tight jacket. That limits the current capacity to about 55a.

#6 with a 90 degree rise rating (THHN-2) is good for 75a. If you are using 75 degree rise (THHN) its still good for 65a. No problem with using that on a MEP-803.

JRM

Cool, a good quality #6 THHN-2 is what I will use- its available at platt locally :) I planned on using #4 to feed the shop (avoiding a second meter fee) as it will be a 36x50 with 8 400w cold start florescent lights, rotary lift, wire feed welder a compressor and a RV bay (that's the 14' one) with 30A service to that bay. Should I stick with 4 just to be safe?

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size sub panel are you going to put in? That will determine the minimum acceptable wire size.

Assuming you go copper wire: If you put in a 60a subpanel you will be fine with #6 (under 100'). If you do a 75a panel you COULD get away with #6 THHN-2 on amps but I would rather see #4 for voltage drop. Your voltage drop will bust 3% at 100' for #6 at 75a. If you put in a 100a you will need #2.

Also remember the rules for running subpanels. You are required to use 4 wires and not bond the neutral and ground at the subpanel.

Edit - Based on the equipment list you have there I would suggest a 100a panel with #2 copper. That is mainly for the inrush on the compressor. If its over a couple of HP you can cause it hard starts running it it on a smaller feeder.

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm using one gauge four wire to bring in the MEP-003A power into the house because I got 57 feet of it for less than $300 delivered. From the generator lugs to just inside the house is only about 35 feet, so the rest can be used to take it to the manual switch (up, over and down to the main breaker box is less than 10 feet, and the switch will go somewhere in between). I know it's overkill for a 104 amp generator (at 240/208 single phase), but there should not be much heat rise or voltage drop on the run. The electrician will be installing the manual breaker box so it's done according to code. Anything I'm overlooking?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks