• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed a 2in Ball

Josh

i installed this a few weeks back about 3 hours before i left for a 2 week trip to the sand dunes. just gota around to taking pictures of it. i havent even droped the trailer since i got back last week, dont really have a place to store it ( neighbors will report it if i leave it un attached to a vehical) so ive been towing this around for the greater part of a week and have no issues.

after this install i am never drilling into metal while i am under-neith it. but so far its held good, and since i dont really plan on ever removing it, i might do a bead down either side just for some extra strength.

ive yet to solve the issue with powering the lights or brakes on the trailer, but i havent had to put many miles on it since i got home, and if i do go out at night i just turn on the landcruisers running lights and so far i havent had an issue. but im looking for a decent transformer for a reasonable price near me so i can get the 12v hook up.

and for those who love pictures.

the trailer is a homeade trailer i converted from an old camperframe. i used 1/2 in x 4in channel steel to reinforce it to the point wwere i dont think i can break it. and spent the better part of 16+ hours drilling and tapping the all 250 or so deck screws( self taping my ass, they would just break off so i had to tap every hole) and dulled out many a bit. but imo it was worth it, im into half of what it would cost me to buy a brand new 7000lb trailer and i feel mine is stronger.

Attachments

Last edited:

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
We all sure p*ss off our neighbors and those others who do not understand this addiction and love for big green and tan trucks. I wish I had just one dollar for each time I have heard the phrase"what are you gonna do with that". Gonna start a new tread. Just had a brilliant idea.

Josh

its a Curt 14082 i believe, i have to go check my recept later but im almost possitive thats what it is.

basicly its held on by 6 bolts 1/2 bolts, 3 on either side, i just vice griped the hitch in place were i wanted it, and drilled out the hole with it on there. took about an hour or so to intall. but when i take the trailer off ill get some more detailed pictures,

Last edited:

JTugwell

we all sure p*ss off our neighbors and those others who do not understand this addiction and love for big green and tan trucks. I wish i had just one dollar for each time i have heard the phrase"what are you gonna do with that". Gonna start a new tread. Just had a brilliant idea.
amen!

broman78

looks like the fj has a hitch just hook the trailer to fj and leave it on the street. That will by you a little time then find a storage or an lot that Class 8 trucks store there trucks at.

Josh

i left out one important detail, the cruiser sorta has a dead motor. 2 weeks in the sanddunes at the redline was the straw that broke the camels back. but all is good, i have a vortex 350 coupled to an NV4500 + NP205+np203 sitting in the garage waiting to go into it.

it would just be to big of a pita to unload it, hook a trailer to it and then reload it when i gota move it. besides the deuce works good as a moble parkinglot.

1qwkgoat

its a Curt 14082 i believe, i have to go check my recept later but im almost possitive thats what it is.

basicly its held on by 6 bolts 1/2 bolts, 3 on either side, i just vice griped the hitch in place were i wanted it, and drilled out the hole with it on there. took about an hour or so to intall. but when i take the trailer off ill get some more detailed pictures,

I figured that was how you installed it. Thats how I plan to install one, my welding skills aren't such that I trust them alone to hold the hitch on. I would really appreciate it if you could check your reciept for the part number of the hitch. That way I can get one and know it will fit

Josh

yes it is a curt 14082. i coulda ordered one on the internet for like 175, but i needed it same day so i ended up paying just under 200 @ my local auto parts store.

Josh

unfortunatly this was a last minute type thing, i knew about 12 hours before i was going that i had to tow a trailer with this thing ( my buddy who was going to tow it, his truck broke down) so i was sorta a need it now kinda thing otherwise i woulda shopped around more

Last edited:

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i believe the frame rails are standard width for a deuce as well as other trucks so most any hitch will work

cbvet

Again, the hitch I got from a Chevy Suburban fit fine. Deuce frame rails measure 28" ID & 34" OD.
I just got a hitch from a recent Dodge pickup, & it's actually designed for a frame that measures 34" ID, 39" OD. I'll adapt it & use it.
Some ford truck hitches I saw at the junkyard were for frames much wider.
No, "most any hitch" won't work. At least not without a lot of modification.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
bought one at swap meet. I have no idea what it was on other than i know its not a chevy. fit perfectly.

Josh

i belive chevy and ford 1 ton trucks from 84-99 have the same frame width as a deuce, least i think thats what the guy at the parts counter told me this hitch was for.

DanMartin

Most excellent Josh.

Which dunes? I go to Winchester a lot. Will be down at Spinreel in a few weeks. Wish I could take the deuce someday, but a 4-5 hour drive to get there isn't something I look forward to. :)