• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

installed hydraulic winch on my CUCV

BigBlackTurd

Just bought a military version Mile Marker hydraulic winch. It came with all the brackets and hardware to install on a Hummer. I built a bracket and installed it using the supplied hydraulic hoses although one was too short. (had to make a run to the auto parts store for a longer hose) The winch is a two speed 10,500lb. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. Just looking forward to the opportunity to putting it to work.

Attachments

86M10086.2L

Nice, were did you get the winch? I want to do the same thing, but was looking at the commercially avaialable mile marker 10.5K winch. Would much rather have the military one if I could.

BigBlackTurd

I found the winch on eBay for $760 a couple weeks ago. It was all brand new, still crated and all the hardware and parts still sealed in plastic. It came with a 24,000lb snatch block and a tree saver strap. I don't know where the guy I got it from got it. I did see another one sell about a week ago on eBay for close to $1000. I don't know where they are coming from, since they are brand new. Mine was manufactured in 2004. Also, the selenoid valves are 24 volt. Thanks guys!

justsomeguy

I got to take a picture of mine now! I did the same thing. It's a kick- butt winch. By the way the solenoids will also work on 12 volts. I have two!

Sarge

You know, when I saw your SS name, I thought to myself that you must be crazy.
Now that you've posted photo's of your MV, everything is explained!
Why don't you paint it green? Ohhhh.... Then your name wouldn't have the same ring to it!
Anyhoo, I've been running a 12,000 pound MileMarker hydraulic winch on my Wrangler Jeep for the last few years. Way overkill!
It could honestly pull the Wrangler up a tree! It's quite a slow winch, but as long as the motor runs, it of course, has full power all of the time. It does not die like a battery operated electric winch after a few full line pulls. If you plan on using it a lot, a power steering fluid cooler is a good idea. My cooler pumps the power steering fluid through the engine coolant system (no, of course they don't mix!) so the power steering fluid stays below 190 degrees. It's really only necessary if you do a lot of consecutive full line pulls.
Does a CUCV already have a fluid cooler? I forget. I forget a lot.
-Sarge

BigBlackTurd

I got to use my winch a few days ago, although it was nothing strenuous. I cut a load of firewood and used the winch to pull the logs to where it was easier to load in the truck. It was nice to not worry about the winch overheating or the batteries not being drained. I'm not worried about protecting the winch anymore that it is now. It sits up pretty high and I don't do anything that extreme with the truck. I don't plan on driving off into 4 foot of water and drowning out the engine.

The truck was completely black when I bought with the ambulance box on the back. And my family started to call it the big black turd and the name just kinda stuck, even though I've done the pickup conversion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks