• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge on MEP-803A

csheath

It's a good thing I installed the backup oil pressure gauge. The last two times I ran the unit for it's monthly test I returned to find the panel gauge below zero. The mechanical gauge was still reading above 20 and the unit was still running so it has oil pressure.

Since my original install I fixed the oil drain tube so it sits level with the engine and now drains completely when I change oil. It remains a little over 20 PSI at operating temp now that I got all the ATF flush out.

Now I have to figure out why the panel oil pressure gauge is stopping while it is running. The last time it did it I gave it a knuckle thump and it came back to life. This time it remained pegged below zero even though it was working when I started the engine.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM -24 has the test procedures for both the sender and the meter. Should be straight forward to narrow it down.

Just curious what the DC voltages at OP gauge terminals I, G & S when it's running and the gauge is at ~0 PSI.
I should be ~ 24VDC, S should be ~ 6.0 VDC at 20 PSI & G should be 0 VDC.

Last edited:

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love to add the manual gauge to my machine, but the line for the arctic heater passes right where I'd need to be looking to see the gauge... oh well.

Demoh

Now I have to figure out why the panel oil pressure gauge is stopping while it is running. The last time it did it I gave it a knuckle thump and it came back to life. This time it remained pegged below zero even though it was working when I started the engine.

I found I run into a LOT of gauges that are pegged zero, I dont know why or how, but it seems the needle ends up burying itself under the lip which has more static friction than the force the gauge can exert to move it, so its effectively stuck until unjammed. Ive been taking the face off, bending the needle a little bit so it doesnt go under the lip and "so far" havent had any issues with that. I say "so far" because I have only done this on my unit and dont think this is a professional repair so I wouldnt put them back into production.

csheath

My panel gauge started working sort of. It doesn't start to read until the machine warms up but consistently comes back to life as the temperature begins to read. The fact that it starts and remains running lets me know it has oil pressure.

I still do monthly tests. I check all the fluids, look for leaks, and run it under a 40 amp load for an hour or so.

Last time I looked at the mechanical gauge was two months ago and it was still on par with the panel and no leaks. Pressure has stayed just above 20 PSIG hot since the last oil change.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks