• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Installed new rear view mirrors on the X-Doors of my M998. I can now see the right mirror !

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a light bar on my M998 and it virtually blocked the passenger side stock mirror so I installed mirrors on the X-doors with the 3D printed mounting plate on the upper hinges. Thank you Midwest Military Equipment and I give this part a 5 star rating. I expect a fruit cake this X-Mas for all the gear I buy from those guys LOL. Fit like a glove and found (after some research ) out the HMMWV X-Door mirrors sold on *bay for the HMMWV are the exact same mirrors others sell for the Jeep at a MUCH lower price.($30 bucks shipped for a pair). Anyway below are the pics.

Mark

20200428_193803.jpg

20200428_192852.jpg

20200428_193752.jpg

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great but those adapters cost $110 for what is essentially a 3 by 6 inch piece of plastic.Must be filled with Platinum I guess? ;)

Me thinks I will buy the $30 mirrors and make my own adapter with some Aluminum plate and a few washers to offset the adapter to allow for fitment.

Thanks for the tip on the mirrors!

T

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
I am OK with the later style West Coast Mirrors on the A pillar. HumV not the easiest rig to see out of anyway. Flat glass with reflections all around makes for a "House of Mirrors" like at a county fair. You got to double check before making a move and check again... day or night. Add in that big radio stack, blue force tracker, snorkel intake, toss in the light bar mounting rail thing and helmet top. Can't see $ hit. Took me awhile working the mirrors and all when making a move.

Bobble head behind the wheel, CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think they look a little too modern, I thought I would give these a try, will require a short piece of pipe to be welded and braced to the upper door hinge, as was stated above not many options, the factory mirrors bite the big one.mirror.jpg
BTW does anyone have any upper hinges laying around?, I figured they would be the same but I saw one guy selling "lower" hinges.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you wanted an H1 you should have bought one.
I love your comment, but I gotta say I hate the stock HMMWV mirrors and their placement. The way they are fastened to our rigs is also annoying.

My complaints are based on my desire to use the truck as a civilian, which was of course not their intended purpose.

papakb

The whole mirror setup is a giant cluster****. But then again, so is half of the truck in general. The more time you spend around them the more you wonder if this thing wasn't designed by a 4th grader. There have been so many times I've asked myself, "what were they thinking here?" But in truth, we love them anyway with all their peculiarities.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
The whole mirror setup is a giant cluster****. But then again, so is half of the truck in general. The more time you spend around them the more you wonder if this thing wasn't designed by a 4th grader. There have been so many times I've asked myself, "what were they thinking here?" But in truth, we love them anyway with all their peculiarities.
I would go a step futher... two second graders. YES we deal with it as a hobby, some a business.

The other rigs I have owned had a level of simple design, form and function. Yes, buzz words, but made more sense. Humv not so much at first.

I do like, LIKE (not love) my rig. Just have to be nice or it will bite you. I say "Who the he!! thought this crap up" CAMO

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brings to mind Unimogs, when I first started dealing with them I would constantly say to myself, WOW what a great way to git this done, not so with the HMMWV, of course we are talking Mercedes Benz VS basically a government contractor..

Reactions: REF

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brings to mind Unimogs, when I first started dealing with them I would constantly say to myself, WOW what a great way to git this done, not so with the HMMWV, of course we are talking Mercedes Benz VS basically a government contractor..
So does that mean you will be changing your username to "UniMogman"?

McSpeed

I was just checking this out - both the H1 style mirror and the Jeep mirror. Thing is - I run doorless most the time - and need the pillar mount. Any thoughts to what would happen if those H1 mirror were pushed forward to the hinge pillar? Or...on those Jeep mirrors...what about welding a second tube on the hinge pillar hinge...so they would stay when the doors are off?

McSpeed

I think they look a little too modern, I thought I would give these a try, will require a short piece of pipe to be welded and braced to the upper door hinge, as was stated above not many options, the factory mirrors bite the big one.View attachment 801903
BTW does anyone have any upper hinges laying around?, I figured they would be the same but I saw one guy selling "lower" hinges.
This is the one that I think you could weld a second tube on your upper hinge so they would work with the doors off.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the one that I think you could weld a second tube on your upper hinge so they would work with the doors off.
You would not want them mounted to the "body" you would weld pipe onto the door hinge so they would swing with the doors, otherwise you would have the same problem you have with the stock military mirrors, the passenger door would hit the mirror every time you opened it.

McSpeed

I realize the door could/will hit the mirror. However, it does that now with the factory mirrors as the door strap catch grabs it right at the point it hits the mirror. Not too worried about that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks